1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: cliaming hills

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

cliaming hills

how should i start out on climing hills,standing up on the bike or sitting down with an easy gear,thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    sit down with easy gear. make sure seat is properly adjusted. thats ideal. if you have to, its ok to stand up.

so for long climbs sit down and spin. for short burst and technical climbs stand up as needed.

mtbr member
    Every now and then it is fun to charge up a short hill standing and meshing. Sometimes you have to stand up to make it - if it is really steep. But you'll quickly find that you won't last long standing...

So go with Linga115's advice.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    stand and charge everything! when you hit that murder hill that makes your lungs burst, take a short break and sit and spin up the rest. then mash some more!

it doesnt matter much. do whatever makes you happy. you'll sure last longer spinning low gears up hills, but you'll ride a lot faster and get stronger mashing stuff. i can spin one of my local trails for 10 miles and not really feel like i got a workout at all.. or i can shift up a few gears and mash the crap out of it and be exhausted and get a real workout. no right or wrong, but im certainly not out there because its easy

spec4life???..smh...
    Like was said, If i see a long hill coming up i usually put it into a lower gear and sit and spin up it, however if I see a semi short hill i usually leave it in my higher gear and stand up to power over it.

Quick advice, selct the gear your gonna climb the hill in before you start the hill. Dont start in a high gear and constantly change gears down. Youll lose all your momentume and it makes climbing much more difficult. On the same note if you do decide to climb in that high gear and try to power over a hill and you see that you just arnt gonna make it dont wait and change gears while you have alot of pressure on the pedals, this is very bad for your drivetrain, as soon as you see your not gonna make it sit down and shift down and proceed to spin up the hill. Yes as said before youll lose momentum but thats better than messing up your bike.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    The way I see it a long hill will never be easy so I just stand up mash it and get it over with faster and I feel more accomplished doing that.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    The way I see it a long hill will never be easy so I just stand up mash it and get it over with faster and I feel more accomplished doing that.
    You need longer hills

I always take the whole ride into consideration when deciding whether to spin or mash. If it's a shorter ride without a lot of total elevation gain I'll usually mash as much as possible. But if I'm doing some epic ride I'll conserve energy and mash only when absolutely needed. Tortoise and the hare type of thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you rode a SS, there'd be only one correct answer to this, and you'd already know it.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    try to carry your momentum into the climb, only shifting into an easier gear when you start losing froward drive...DON"T MASH.....keep on spinning...sooo many people I see have a habit of dumping their speed at the start of a climb and shifting to an easier gear way to early...don't waste all that momentum you worked so hard to achieve..

Just Ride
    Jun 2008
    Easier gear and stay sitting. If there's a part you need more power for, go for it and stand up. But it requires more energy and takes some weight off your back tire so you might lose traction and spin out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    If you rode a SS, there'd be only one correct answer to this, and you'd already know it.
    I was having similar thought when reading this thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    a big key I've found is seat position. Too low and you'll get completely spent going up even the smallest of hills.

Make sure its high enough so that your legs are basically fully extended on the downstroke, that way you can get every bit of power you can out of your legs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks alot,i brought my bike to work today and on the way home there is a little park iam going to stop by,i guess there are a couple of big hills at the start so i will try both methods tonight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have been finding that I am standing up and mashing more and more. For some reason, I seem to get more air to the lungs. I spin in a low gear and I get winded, I shift up a couple gears and stand up and mash. Strangely, I find this a great way to mix it up and I can climb so much better since I started coming up off the saddle. I'm a beginner so I don't know if that's the correct way to do it but it sure has helped me.

There is definitely a "sweet spot" for climbing while standing up and it reminds me of my motorcyle days trying to balance traction and keeping the front down.

On really long climbs I just alternate instead of stopping to rest, I stand up (or sit down if I was already standing). In my experience this has improved my hill climbing stamina by about 5:1.
    BROWN-CHICKEN-BROWN-COW!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    got the bike out friday after work,riding all dirt and gravel trails is alot harder than i thouhgt.small dirt hills standing up was a little easier,the long hills i couldnt make it up,its gonig to take alot more riding to get me back in shape.the long hill on the way out was paved so i found a good gear and sat down for most of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CTrider
    I was having similar thought when reading this thread
    Someone else referred to this as the "go berserk" method in the other climbing thread. I think it fits.