1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Cleaning your bike?

I was wondering the proper way to clean your bike of dirt and grime if washing it with a water hose is not "proper". I was wondering if it will start rust and I've even heard of people riding in rain and getting water in their forks. I'm not too sure how to take care of my new bike...
    [SIZE="3"][08' Windsor Ghost 6500][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Rock Shox Dart 1 - Tektro Discs - WTB Velociraptors - Alex DP17 rims[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Ride it like you stole it.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    You can hose your bike down, just don't use a high-pressure washer...that blows out grease seals, and gets water in sensitive places. Rain is fine. Mud is fine. Garden hose is fine. If someone is getting water in their forks, it's because their seals are shot, not because it's raining.

After you wash away most of the mud and grit, wipe the bike down with a clean (or sort-of clean) rag to remove excess moisture. Make sure your chain is cleaned, dried, and re-lubed each time you douse your bike.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks, Mr. Mook. I know it was a silly question so thanks for taking your time to answer it for me.
    [SIZE="3"][08' Windsor Ghost 6500][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Rock Shox Dart 1 - Tektro Discs - WTB Velociraptors - Alex DP17 rims[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Ride it like you stole it.[/SIZE]

MTBR Member
    You might also want to pick up some degreaser to use on the derailleurs, cassette, anywhere to break down some of the grit(minus fork although i don't think it would harm it) I like pedro's bio cleaner. I spray it on maybe work it around with an old tooth brush unless you have something better to use and then rinse. Always wipe the fork off too with a clean rag when you are finished riding just try not to push dirt down past the seal. Also if you have some rust build up on the cassette from a wet chain that pedros will take it right off if you remove the rear wheel and scrub with the brush. Anyways its pretty simple just make sure its dry when you store it or you'll have some rust.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    or you could look at the 4th question from the top , the one titled "basic cleaning and maintenance guide"