1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Speed Demon

(cleaning)Household alternatives to de-greaser

I gotta get out and buy serious cleaning products for my bike but are there any household detergents/cleaners that work OK? My chain, derailleur and BOTH cassettes will be replaced in 1 month so traces of salts or ammonia or whatnot are not that big of an issue.

I've got.. Lysol.. Mr Clean.. Windex.. Bleach..

So once again, the LEAST damaging recommendation as I am planning on overhauling my entire drivetrain.

Thx

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Water and dish soap

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    buy Simple Green. you can even get a concentrate in a 1 gal container at Home Depot to mix in a spray bottle. can clean your house and your bike with it. and it's biodegradable too.

Flatlander
    Yeah, seconds on Simple Green; that stuff is cheap and works well.
    Another option is an industrial cleaner called Purple Power.... I think its about $7/gallon at NAPA. It is harsher than Simple Green and cuts grease more effectively, but still claims to be biodegradable. I'm careful where I use it though.... that stuff will easily mess sensitive materials (rubber, plastic, paint, your hands) up.

I only use heavy duty cleaning products on my drivetrain though; the frame never needs anything other than water and some sort of soap; doesn't matter whether its laundry detergent or dish soap or car soap- they do the same thing

Speed Demon
    my main issue was that my drivetrain was so dirty that i couldn't stand another bike out. the detergent worked very poorly but definitely did the job. i'll be going and buying real bike de-greaser now

mtbr member
    Costco Dish Soap is almost as good as any degreaser...just takes a little more elbow grease
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?