1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Clean Shock Shafts?

So my bike is not very old but I was wondering how often I should be cleaning and regreasing the front shock shafts. Right now they are pretty dirty and don't have a lot of grease left on them. Do I just wipe the old stuff off and buy some more from the bike shop or is this grease good for a real long time?

There's no app for this.

It needs service

what does your manual say? don't have one? go one line and download it. Every fork mfr is different. Jim

Fox suggests a clean and lube every 25 hours of riding for example.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I typically hit mine up each time I clean my chain and transmission, which is almost after every ride. It's pretty easy to give them a wipe and then give them a shot of lube. If nothing else your owners manual should have this info in it.

...idios...
    Fork stanchions should be at least wiped down after every ride. You'll get more mileage from both seals and stanchions. There should not be any grease on your stanchions. Check out the Fork Maintenance section (link >>) here (with pictures) for a rough guide.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

There's no app for this.

Thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Fork stanchions should be at least wiped down after every ride. You'll get more mileage from both seals and stanchions. There should not be any grease on your stanchions. Check out the Fork Maintenance section (link >>) here (with pictures) for a rough guide.
    I never knew that guide was there
    thanks, it's most helpful, Jim

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Motorcycle shops and Enduro seals sell a pure teflon lube made for shock stanchions, the stuff is incredible slippery.

I do the shocks when a wash my bike once a week, or when it gets to dirty.

I also do the rear shock

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm with SteveUK

I clean my fork stanchions and top seals after each ride. I wipe them clean with a paper towel sprayed with Armor All. If you leave a light film of the Armor All on the stanchions and compress the fork, you'll see a fine ring of the crap that was wiped from the top seals.

I guess I'm kind of anal about the bike maintenance.

glenk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Motorcycle shops and Enduro seals sell a pure teflon lube made for shock stanchions, the stuff is incredible slippery.

I do the shocks when a wash my bike once a week, or when it gets to dirty.

I also do the rear shock
    Got a brand/ msrp for this? I would be interested in picking some up if I can order it from the likes of Dennis Kirk.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTwisted
    Got a brand/ msrp for this? I would be interested in picking some up if I can order it from the likes of Dennis Kirk.
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id79.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    danO, thanks bro.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!