1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Choosing shifters and derailleur

I need to purchase a front derailuer and shifter for my Raleigh Mojave 8.0. Reason why? i just do not have them. I do not need anything that beefy or top of the line. Looking for something reasonably priced but it needs to be able to handle jumps and drops. I broke my last front derailleur doing a 6 foot drop. I was pretty annoyed because of how small the drop was. my largest rotor on the front is 44T. hope i gave enough info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How does a front deraileur get broken doing a drop? Did you land it or crash?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasFerrer
    I broke my last front derailleur doing a 6 foot drop. I was pretty annoyed because of how small the drop was. my largest rotor on the front is 44T. hope i gave enough info.

ehhh? are you doing road gaps on this?

My solution to a rash of crash damaged shifters was a set of gripshifts. They're pretty beat up now, but still work and they've far outlasted the trigger shifters. Front derailleurs... eh, deore is fine, lx shifts marginally better, and xt shifts like lx but takes twice as long to slop out. As if you use the front derailleur to do anything besides hold the chain in place anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wouldn't consider 6 feet a "small" drop, especially if you weren't landing it on a transition. That's an XC bike, made to take drops under 3 feet.

And, yeah, how did you break a front der on a drop?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    it knocked out of place, and the mount had broken. not sure how i did it, but it happened. i didnt fall either.

Live Free or Ride!
    That bike is not meant for anything near 6'. It's a wonder the frame hasn't come apart. But hey if you have nerves of steel then giv' 'er. Deore's or LX's should do you fine.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0