1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Choosing the right bike

Hello,

I'm new here and new to mountain bikes and I am having trouble deciding on a bike to purchase and would greatly appreciate some guidance. I race dirt bikes (Harescrambles) so I am thinking I want a full suspension bike as well as a 29er. I am wanting to train on it for my races and would be riding mostly double track, single track, and possibly on the road sometimes. Being a dirt bike rider I know I am going to be hard on the bike and would really like as much suspension travel as possible. I know there isn't an obvious choice for everyone but I didn't realize there were so many different kind of bikes and setups out there. What do you guys think? I was looking at a Superfly 100, but I am not sure that it has enough travel.

Thanks,
    Bryan

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It really depends on the terrain you are riding. 100mm(4") is enough travel to ride a lot of terrain. Now, if you live in the mountains? 100mm probably won't be ideal.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    But if you're doubting that 100mm is going to handle the type of riding you're doing? You should probably look at the FuelEX.(since you're looking at a Trek)
    Bike Doctor

Picture Unrelated
    First off, ignore any advice the internet gives you.

Now go to as many local bike shops as you can, ride as many bikes as you can (different sizes, different lengths of travel, hardtail and full suspension, different wheel sizes) then buy the one you like the most.

Once you've had a chance to test ride every option there is, if you have more questions let them rip.

Really the way to choose a bike is to choose a price and ride all your options in and around that price. In the end, it doesn't matter what parts the bike has attached to it if the thing rides like crap. If you're buying a bike to ride then buy that bike based on the way it rides. For someone not familiar with riding bikes and how to decipher geometry tables into how they will preform on the trail, that means test riding. Appropriate piece of writing: KRob?s Outerbike 2013 Bike Demo Reviews ? Part 2 | Mountain Bike Review | Page 6
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?