1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Choosing a decent hard tail for $1000Cdn

Hey, I'm currently getting a friend of mine into biking with me and he needs a decent bike. Price range is $1000. We decided on staying with a hard tail considering the price.

We have it narrowed down between:
    Trek 6500disc:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike...ies/6500disce/

Kona Caldera:
    http://www.konaworld.com/08_caldera_c.htm

Both are the same price, I am personally leaning towards the Trek, but its currently back ordered at the local bike shop (only one my city). I'm not very familiar with either brand, I mainly use Specialized or Giant.

Which is the better bike, and do you have other suggestions? Mainly doing XC trails, not really doing jumps or anything. We're more the type to ease our way down a tricky rock face instead of just launching off of it. The most advanced stuff we would go to would be the mid range trails at Bromont Quebec.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like the Kona,better components I think and I really like the look.Here's another bike you should look at before you decide..

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

Very good bike and a very good company that's very popular on here.

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've got a 2001 Trek 6500 I like so much that in the last 2 months I have purchased for it
    fork
    dérailleurs
    chainrings
    chain
    cassette
    shifters/brake levers
    seat
    clipless pedals ( I guess I can finally try them.)
    Just to keep it going because it fits me so well and we have years of history together. I have plenty of money to buy another bike but I like this one. All the components I have bought lately I could have almost bought a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Trek has a slightly better build spec, but quite frankly, they are almost spec'd the same (slightly ligher fork on the Trek, better hubs and brakes on the Trek, everything else is pretty much the same).

Has your friend ridden either bike? Which does he prefer? If he likes riding both, it would really be just which one he prefers riding. The Kona will stand out a bit more in the crowd, as EVERYBODY has a trek

...but crap tho...a grand buys a lot in a HT these days...I paid $1500 for my Giant HT ten years ago, and didn't get near the parts spec. that those bikes have....

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i got the cinder cone and it takes everything i throw at it. but it is a lil twitchy on jumps, but the bike isnt made for that so it understandable
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheBush
    If you live long enough, you'll discover that most people are dull, boring and lazy..

Pot is optional.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. He went with the Kona which should be in next week or so.