1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

A choosing deadlock-trek 4500 or 4900 vs overseas bicycles

well i am 6 foot tall 165 lbs.I am trying to gear toward u.s.a made bicycles as far as I know trek along with cannondale{very expensive bikes} are made here in the u.s. I understand not all the treks are made here in the u.s.a from the 4500 on up are.I have always had a passion for bicycles but never got into the bicycle searching as to what is a good bike or not for bikes.as far as I know which is very little about who makes a good bike except trek is which I know is a very reputable company. I cant name them all,some are specilized,giant,etc oversea companys. I see are not even made here in the u.s.a, but I have did some researching on the net and figured out alot of the companys send there bikes overseas to be made and have them sent back to the states. I dont want to knock specialized or giant bicycle companys. cause i have no clue if those bikes are a good bike to own and enjoy.I guess I am looking for some input of why I should put my trust in a company that makes bikes overseas?does specialized make that good of a bike? that would be a second choice for me just cause I have seen people freak for getting a specialized bike at that time roughly 5 years ago in a schwinn bike shop before they went bankrupt. I was happy getting a trek 800 then later a 820. little did i know I was buying tanks for bicycles.until recently 2003 I did some internet research and bought a 04" trek 3500 aluminum.now I want to upgrade to a better bike with better componants and frame like a 04"-4500 or 4900 but I only have $600 to do it with.so i have looked at gary fishers.giant,specialized.etc.seems like its trek, gary fisher, specialized and maybe giant thats affordable to me.I like to ride mostly streets and I want to own a mountain bike,looked into hybrids,comfort and road bikes. but I like the mountain bike hardtails the best.so if anyone has some input on who is a excellent company to buy from like specialized,giant or any reputable,affordable company like specialized here in the states would be much appreciated.I just would like to know of good experinces with these companys products before i shell out some hard earned cash.as for the 4500 and 4900 they seem to be the best bet so far at my LBS 379.99 to 489.99 in prices.want to weigh out all my options first before I buy a bike.thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by outlawtigeron68
    well i am 6 foot tall 165 lbs.I am trying to gear toward u.s.a made bicycles as far as I know trek along with cannondale{very expensive bikes} are made here in the u.s. I understand not all the treks are made here in the u.s.a from the 4500 on up are.I have always had a passion for bicycles but never got into the bicycle searching as to what is a good bike or not for bikes.as far as I know which is very little about who makes a good bike except trek is which I know is a very reputable company. I cant name them all,some are specilized,giant,etc oversea companys. I see are not even made here in the u.s.a, but I have did some researching on the net and figured out alot of the companys send there bikes overseas to be made and have them sent back to the states. I dont want to knock specialized or giant bicycle companys. cause i have no clue if those bikes are a good bike to own and enjoy.I guess I am looking for some input of why I should put my trust in a company that makes bikes overseas?does specialized make that good of a bike? that would be a second choice for me just cause I have seen people freak for getting a specialized bike at that time roughly 5 years ago in a schwinn bike shop before they went bankrupt. I was happy getting a trek 800 then later a 820. little did i know I was buying tanks for bicycles.until recently 2003 I did some internet research and bought a 04" trek 3500 aluminum.now I want to upgrade to a better bike with better componants and frame like a 04"-4500 or 4900 but I only have $600 to do it with.so i have looked at gary fishers.giant,specialized.etc.seems like its trek, gary fisher, specialized and maybe giant thats affordable to me.I like to ride mostly streets and I want to own a mountain bike,looked into hybrids,comfort and road bikes. but I like the mountain bike hardtails the best.so if anyone has some input on who is a excellent company to buy from like specialized,giant or any reputable,affordable company like specialized here in the states would be much appreciated.I just would like to know of good experinces with these companys products before i shell out some hard earned cash.as for the 4500 and 4900 they seem to be the best bet so far at my LBS 379.99 to 489.99 in prices.want to weigh out all my options first before I buy a bike.thanks
    I wouldn't worry where the bike was made. All the companies you mention make excellent bikes. I've had a Giant Rainer for over two years now and it can take anything I throw at it (within design spec of course, meaning I don't use it for freeriding or anything, just XC) and I weight about 190 lbs. Giant owns something like over 80% of the worldwide bike market and you don't do that by making crap. Also due to their size they tend to offer more bang for the buck.

Now, if you really got you mind set on Trek, then Gary Fisher might be bikes you want to look into. Trek owns Fisher. Although, Gary himself has complete control of design, the manufacturing is done by the same plants as the Trek bikes. If you look at Trek and Fisher bikes you’ll notice a lot of Bontrager components (for a lack of a better word) that because the Bontrager is also own by Trek now.

Personally, If you stick with the big 4 Giant, Trek, Specialized or Cannondale you can't go wrong. Like I said earlier the most bang for your buck would be Giant.

I like Monkeys
    I agree the Giant Rainier is IMHO the best bike in the 700 buck price range. You can probably pick up last years model within your budget of 600 bucks. My wife has one and you really can't beat the parts mix and quality.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    I wouldn't worry where the bike was made. All the companies you mention make excellent bikes. I've had a Giant Rainer for over two years now and it can take anything I throw at it (within design spec of course, meaning I don't use it for freeriding or anything, just XC) and I weight about 190 lbs. Giant owns something like over 80% of the worldwide bike market and you don't do that by making crap. Also due to their size they tend to offer more bang for the buck.

Now, if you really got you mind set on Trek, then Gary Fisher might be bikes you want to look into. Trek owns Fisher. Although, Gary himself has complete control of design, the manufacturing is done by the same plants as the Trek bikes. If you look at Trek and Fisher bikes you’ll notice a lot of Bontrager components (for a lack of a better word) that because the Bontrager is also own by Trek now.

Personally, If you stick with the big 4 Giant, Trek, Specialized or Cannondale you can't go wrong. Like I said earlier the most bang for your buck would be Giant.
    ok great now I have something to think about the giant company,well I cant afford the rainier{it looks like a awesome bike though} but the iguana looks just as good to me for the $$ and the componants as compared to the rainier,I will go to the local giant shop again and see what he can do for me, if he dont budge on a decent price I will go elsewhere, cause this guy seems overpriced for cannondales. and I dont know if his prices are affordable or overpriced for giant bikes. I will have to compare his prices to internet pricing, as for the trek/fisher dealer he has been in business for 20 year and owns the building so he has lower prices for trek/fisher.as for the gary fisher bikes compared to trek I like the tassajera better than the 4900.thanks for the input it will open up new doors for me to choose a bike from the big 4. youre right giant does have a better bang for the buck.I will look into giant and see what happens. thanks again.
    Last edited by outlawtigeron68; 03-11-2004 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ok great now I have something to think about the giant company,well I cant afford the rainier{it looks like a awesome bike though} but the iguana looks just as good to me for the $$ and the componants as compared to the rainier,I will go to the local giant shop again and see what he can do for me, if he dont budge on a decent price I will go elsewhere, cause this guy seems overpriced for cannondales. and I dont know if his prices are affordable or overpriced for giant bikes. I will have to compare his prices to internet pricing, as for the trek/fisher dealer he has been in business for 20 year and owns the building so he has lower prices for trek/fisher.as for the gary fisher bikes compared to trek I like the tassajera better than the 4900.thanks for the input it will open up new doors for me to choose a bike from the big 4. youre right giant does have a better bang for the buck.I will look into giant and see what happens. thanks again.
    The Iguana is a very nice bike. You will not be disappointed with it. Last year they started using the Rainer frame on the Iguana, so it’s very upgradeable. It got the same geometry as the Giant’s racing hardtails, the XtC.

I'm pretty sure you LBS will get you a good deal on a Gaint. Don't let the pricing on the Cannondales throw you. They’re expensive period. It doesn’t matter where you go. Canonndale limits the number of dealers it has in order to keep their prices high. They’re great bikes, but they’re over price.

Let us know what you end up getting.
    Last edited by wraith; 03-11-2004 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Iguana is a very nice bike. You will not be disappointed with it. Last year they started using the Rainer frame on the Iguana, so it’s very upgradeable. It got the same geometry as the Giant’s racing hardtails, the XtC.

I'm pretty sure you LBS will get you a good deal on a Gaint. Don't let the pricing on the Cannondales throw you. They’re expensive period. It doesn’t matter where you go. Canonndale limits the number of dealers it has in order to keep their prices high. They’re great bikes, but they’re over price.

well I just went through the giant website to learn more about them. and just read they only have a 5 year warranty on their aluminum frames.so glad i did some research on them first.man! those were nice bikes! but I will let you know what i get when the tax $$$ comes next week.hopefully I will get next week $$$.

beer *****es n' bikes
    well I just went through the giant website to learn more about them. and just read they only have a 5 year warranty on their aluminum frames.so glad i did some research on them first.man! those were nice bikes! but I will let you know what i get when the tax $$$ comes next week.hopefully I will get next week $$$.
    We sell Trek, GF and Specialized. Specialized probably has the best warranty of any manufacturer we deal with, and the fewest warranty returns, though Trek and GF are extremely low, they seem to have a lot of problems with the Bontrager/Suntour cranksets. Personally I don't feel the upgrade from the 3500 is necessarily worth it, since my feeling is that you know you like the sport already, so you really should get something higher end, more in the 6xxx or 8xxx range from Trek, or something comparable from Gary.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Ont-Trail-Rider

Iguana

My wife just a Giant Iguana. We bought last years model which had a non disk bike and one with disc. The non-disk had a better drive train and IMO better fork. But you can argue both ways saying the disk make it worth while. We have been unable in SW Ontario to hit he trails with it, however rides around town have been great and I think its a pretty good quality bike. Its actually her first real mountain bike, and its very worth of future upgrades IMO.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lot of companies went to 5 year warranty a few years ago. When I was getting my bike I know Specialized had a 5 year warranty. I think they went back to lifetime now. Kind of surprise Giant hasn't followed. I still Giant are great bike even with just a 5 year warranty. They'll last longer than that.

If you Giant off your list I would suggest Specialized I know the have a lifetime warranty now. Check out the Hardrock Pro (Disc) (which is within your price range). It's not as light as the Giant but it tough little bike design for abuse. Now, if you want something more long the line of XC bike you could look at the Rockhopper line. The base modal is around $400 but the components are little iffy IMO. The next modal up in that line is the Rockhopper Comp which comes in at the $700 mark (a little over your budget I think), but it a really sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Smile

Lot of companies went to 5 year warranty a few years ago. When I was getting my bike I know Specialized had a 5 year warranty. I think they went back to lifetime now. Kind of surprise Giant hasn't followed. I still Giant are great bike even with just a 5 year warranty. They'll last longer than that.

If you Giant off your list I would suggest Specialized I know the have a lifetime warranty now. Check out the Hardrock Pro (Disc) (which is within your price range). It's not as light as the Giant but it tough little bike design for abuse. Now, if you want something more long the line of XC bike you could look at the Rockhopper line. The base modal is around $400 but the components are little iffy IMO. The next modal up in that line is the Rockhopper Comp which comes in at the $700 mark (a little over your budget I think), but it a really sweet bike.
    hey I did some extensive research last night and figured out that the rockhopper, g.f marlin,and trek 4500 are the same mostly for componants. but the rockhopper comp and the tassajera are pretty much the same also. I can get the tassajera for 519.99 and the rockhopper comp for 599.99 talked to the dealer this morning he said 629.99 but he knows I have only 600.00 to work with so he will give it to me for 599.99, this guy has better lifetime adjustmment,friendlier and is willing to work with me more than the trek dealer which only gives three months of adjustments.so I am favoring the rockhopper comp bike only thing is the I am wondering the grade of aluminum compared to the tassajera?I am gonna get some prices today from the giant dealer to see what his story is? as for my riding preferance I guess it would like trail riding not into jumps or beating the bike into oblivian.just basic trail riding.be back have to check out the giant dealer.rockhopper comp so far favoring.-well I went to the giant dealer and after a long detailed explanation of why cannondales are so expensive and not all bikes are the same. I asked him dont you know you have compitition with other dealers and he started to explain that he has bills to pay like his mechanic,overhead etc...,and you cant compare this bike with that bike, none are the same-he was pretty much standing his ground on his prices-so I said that I could get pretty much the same bike but in specialized or a gary fisher-then he said lets see what you are camparing in prices like the deore derailer,front derailer,front fork basically comparible componants.so he did reduce his prices for me and he said I would have lifetime adjustments-yesterday his other sales man said I only get one free adjustment and it would cost me 29.99 for a tune-up later on if needed.but I talked to the owner-the yukon reduced to from 479.99 to 449.99 the iguana 599.99 to 549.99 and the rainier which I dont know what that was originally but thats 799.99.So its the giant iguana for 549.99 the rockhopper comp for 599.99 or gary fisher tassajara for 519.99.any recomendations should i go with the giant iguana even though it only has a 5 year warranty or the rockhopper comp? thanks
    Last edited by outlawtigeron68; 03-12-2004 at 01:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey I did some extensive research last night and figured out that the rockhopper, g.f marlin,and trek 4500 are the same mostly for componants. but the rockhopper comp and the tassajera are pretty much the same also. I can get the tassajera for 519.99 and the rockhopper comp for 599.99 talked to the dealer this morning he said 629.99 but he knows I have only 600.00 to work with so he will give it to me for 599.99, this guy has better lifetime adjustmment,friendlier and is willing to work with me more than the trek dealer which only gives three months of adjustments.so I am favoring the rockhopper comp bike only thing is the I am wondering the grade of aluminum compared to the tassajera?I am gonna get some prices today from the giant dealer to see what his story is? as for my riding preferance I guess it would like trail riding not into jumps or beating the bike into oblivian.just basic trail riding.be back have to check out the giant dealer.rockhopper comp so far favoring.-well I went to the giant dealer and after a long detailed explanation of why cannondales are so expensive and not all bikes are the same. I asked him dont you know you have compitition with other dealers and he started to explain that he has bills to pay like his mechanic,overhead etc...,and you cant compare this bike with that bike, none are the same-he was pretty much standing his ground on his prices-so I said that I could get pretty much the same bike but in specialized or a gary fisher-then he said lets see what you are camparing in prices like the deore derailer,front derailer,front fork basically comparible componants.so he did reduce his prices for me and he said I would have lifetime adjustments-yesterday his other sales man said I only get one free adjustment and it would cost me 29.99 for a tune-up later on if needed.but I talked to the owner-the yukon reduced to from 479.99 to 449.99 the iguana 599.99 to 549.99 and the rainier which I dont know what that was originally but thats 799.99.So its the giant iguana for 549.99 the rockhopper comp for 599.99 or gary fisher tassajara for 519.99.any recomendations should i go with the giant iguana even though it only has a 5 year warranty or the rockhopper comp? thanks
    Have you test ridden any of these bikes? If not go back to your LBS and test ride them. The most important thing about getting a bike is fit, each bike as a different geometry and fits each person differently. It doesn’t matter what kind of components you have if the frame doesn’t fit you right. For example, the Giant’s XtC geometry fits my body build better then the Gary Fisher’s Genesis Geometry. The only reason, I didn’t end up with a Fisher was because Genesis Geometry just did work for me.

As for Giant’s 5 year warranty, here is my feeling about it the whole thing. First off, Giant knows how to make frames. They actually make frames for a lot of other companies, like Fisher (before they became part of Trek), K2, REI, Schwinn (before they were brought out by Pacific) and the list goes on. They have very good quality control or else these other company wouldn’t be using them.

Secondly, all these so call lifetime warranty are for the “lifetime of the product”. That could 5 years, 4 years, and 10 years. Who knows, NONE of these companies will give you a clear cut definition of what that is.

Finally, all these frame warranties (5 years or lifetime) are only for defect in workmanship and material. IMO, five year is more then nuff time to catch that. If your frames makes pass the five years, whatever cracks it wouldn’t be a defect.

Don’t put too much stock in these "lifetime" warranties they're more of marketing tool then anything else. All of them will have language in them that will allow a company to get out whenever they want.

So, If you like the Iguana and fits you then get it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Smile

Have you test ridden any of these bikes? If not go back to your LBS and test ride them. The most important thing about getting a bike is fit, each bike as a different geometry and fits each person differently. It doesn’t matter what kind of components you have if the frame doesn’t fit you right. For example, the Giant’s XtC geometry fits my body build better then the Gary Fisher’s Genesis Geometry. The only reason, I didn’t end up with a Fisher was because Genesis Geometry just did work for me.

As for Giant’s 5 year warranty, here is my feeling about it the whole thing. First off, Giant knows how to make frames. They actually make frames for a lot of other companies, like Fisher (before they became part of Trek), K2, REI, Schwinn (before they were brought out by Pacific) and the list goes on. They have very good quality control or else these other company wouldn’t be using them.

Secondly, all these so call lifetime warranty are for the “lifetime of the product”. That could 5 years, 4 years, and 10 years. Who knows, NONE of these companies will give you a clear cut definition of what that is.

Finally, all these frame warranties (5 years or lifetime) are only for defect in workmanship and material. IMO, five year is more then nuff time to catch that. If your frames makes pass the five years, whatever cracks it wouldn’t be a defect.

Don’t put too much stock in these "lifetime" warranties they're more of marketing tool then anything else. All of them will have language in them that will allow a company to get out whenever they want.

So, If you like the Iguana and fits you then get it.
    I did ride the 21" yukon since he didnt have the iguana in stock. I imagine its the same frame geometry since the yukon,iguana and the rainier are the same frame,he told me,and it rode really smooth and comfortable and more control being lower. it was a little lower set up than my trek 3500 its a 21" frame but I have everything adjusted high like 9 inches from the top of the seat to the top base of the seat post, handlebars neck is 4inches high ,thats another question i have I went to www.wrenchscience.com and put in my body sizing and it recommended a 21in or 22in center to top/20in center to center for frame size,overall reach is 63.69cm whatever that is in inches?recommended saddle height is 82.98 cm again whatever that means.so as far as I know I should get a 21" or 22" inch frame.but I have been on a trek 4500 24in frame it was high and the top bar was barely touching my body, it was a tight fit like a 1/2 inch free space. my inseam length is 37 inches the way they had me measure it from wrench science.how high should the top bar of the frame be to my body in free space 1-2 inches?

So on the yukon the disc brakes were a really nice feature I liked them,it rode smooth and it had a extra rear gear than the trek. felt lower and in more control is that the way its supposed to feel? the 24 in frame made me feel stretched out on 4500 trek. the overall ride was very comfortable and more in control being lower.I didnt feel like I was cruising around in a semi being high on my trek thats the way i adjusted it because I am 6 foot tall and the length of my legs.

okay since you are recommending to me the iguana, I think I will go with the iguana instead of the other bikes I have chosen before. I was really impressed with the ride couldnt believe it was so much lighter than my trek 3500.and it had a more comfortable seat than mine.differant having a shock on the front though. it was a great feeling not feeling bumps.anyway I liked the yukon and hopefully the iguana will feel the same
    Last edited by outlawtigeron68; 03-13-2004 at 03:49 AM.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

If you're looking for USA made bike...

in the $500 range, then you'll have to go with the Cannondale F300 @ $539. All of Trek's 4000 series bikes are made in China (frame made in china, bike assembled in US). You have to step up to the 6700 for a US made frame. Check out the C-dale, it's a great frame for the money.

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did ride the 21" yukon since he didnt have the iguana in stock. I imagine its the same frame geometry since the yukon,iguana and the rainier are the same frame,he told me,and it rode really smooth and comfortable and more control being lower. it was a little lower set up than my trek 3500 its a 21" frame but I have everything adjusted high like 9 inches from the top of the seat to the top base of the seat post, handlebars neck is 4inches high ,thats another question i have I went to www.wrenchscience.com and put in my body sizing and it recommended a 21in or 22in center to top/20in center to center for frame size,overall reach is 63.69cm whatever that is in inches?recommended saddle height is 82.98 cm again whatever that means.so as far as I know I should get a 21" or 22" inch frame.but I have been on a trek 4500 24in frame it was high and the top bar was barely touching my body, it was a tight fit like a 1/2 inch free space. my inseam length is 37 inches the way they had me measure it from wrench science.how high should the top bar of the frame be to my body in free space 1-2 inches?

So on the yukon the disc brakes were a really nice feature I liked them,it rode smooth and it had a extra rear gear than the trek. felt lower and in more control is that the way its supposed to feel? the 24 in frame made me feel stretched out on 4500 trek. the overall ride was very comfortable and more in control being lower.I didnt feel like I was cruising around in a semi being geometryhigh on my trek thats the way i adjusted it because I am 6 foot tall and the length of my legs.

okay since you are recommending to me the iguana, I think I will go with the iguana instead of the other bikes I have chosen before. I was really impressed with the ride couldnt believe it was so much lighter than my trek 3500.and it had a more comfortable seat than mine.differant having a shock on the front though. it was a great feeling not feeling bumps.anyway I liked the yukon and hopefully the iguana will feel the same
    The Yukon does NOT have the same geometry as the Iguana. The Iguana and the Yukon had the same geometry about two years’ ago, but Giant upgraded it to the XtC racing geometry last year. It's a little more aggressive. The Yukon puts you in a more upright position. Before you drop the bucks on an Iguana, you need to test ride it. If he doesn't have one stock then asks to test ride a Rainer or XtC to get a feel for the geometry.

As for stand over clearance, about an inch or two should be fine. Some guys like 3 or 4 inches. If you go with a 3 or 4 inch clearance you'll most likely have to get a longer stem, maybe throw your saddle back to make up for the short top tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Yukon does NOT have the same geometry as the Iguana. The Iguana and the Yukon had the same geometry about two years’ ago, but Giant upgraded it to the XtC racing geometry last year. It's a little more aggressive. The Yukon puts you in a more upright position. Before you drop the bucks on an Iguana, you need to test ride it. If he doesn't have one stock then asks to test ride a Rainer or XtC to get a feel for the geometry.

As for stand over clearance, about an inch or two should be fine. Some guys like 3 or 4 inches. If you go with a 3 or 4 inch clearance you'll most likely have to get a longer stem, maybe throw your saddle back to make up for the short top tube.
    wraith-long story made short I went to the "bike one" shop giant dealer and figured out this is a guy that is overpriced and his salesman pitch is something I cannot deal with anymore I tried to give him the benefit of a doubt-hes there for the profit I could get a giant bike in another county cause he is the only one here in this one. but would take some time to get a ride there.

I rode the yukon 21 and 23 in frames 21 feels better, he didnt have the rainier or xtc i didnt even look.I tried 4 bikes today to test ride.after the third one he said you gotta be kidding? I said no! I guess he expects me to get on a bike ride it and say I will buy this one, NOT. plus I have been undecided which one to buy not sure yet.I tried a cannondale adventure 400 liked that one alot upright and faster.but he wanted 599.99 for it and when I asked him if he would go lower he started to do a lecture about if you go into a car dealer you cant chew them down.at that point I was getting really irritated with him.cause at the same time he was lecturing me.I was thinking this guy is a rip off and I could get that bike in another county for 529.99. there are only 4 dealers in this town, 2 of them as of now to me are deleted off my list to buy from. because of their attitudes and salesman pitches. they dont want to hear I can get it somewhere cheaper.so back to specialized or tassajera/trek dealers.I dont know where you live but here in florida people have bad attitudes torwards each other.thats just the way it is.So on to mountain bike researching. thanks alot though for youre opinions wraith they have helped me out alot.

U V
    aka: UltraViolet
    i ride a 16" 4500 and i love it, but saying that, i ride a gaint which is 6 years old and is still floorless to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wraith-long story made short I went to the "bike one" shop giant dealer and figured out this is a guy that is overpriced and his salesman pitch is something I cannot deal with anymore I tried to give him the benefit of a doubt-hes there for the profit I could get a giant bike in another county cause he is the only one here in this one. but would take some time to get a ride there.

I rode the yukon 21 and 23 in frames 21 feels better, he didnt have the rainier or xtc i didnt even look.I tried 4 bikes today to test ride.after the third one he said you gotta be kidding? I said no! I guess he expects me to get on a bike ride it and say I will buy this one, NOT. plus I have been undecided which one to buy not sure yet.I tried a cannondale adventure 400 liked that one alot upright and faster.but he wanted 599.99 for it and when I asked him if he would go lower he started to do a lecture about if you go into a car dealer you cant chew them down.at that point I was getting really irritated with him.cause at the same time he was lecturing me.I was thinking this guy is a rip off and I could get that bike in another county for 529.99. there are only 4 dealers in this town, 2 of them as of now to me are deleted off my list to buy from. because of their attitudes and salesman pitches. they dont want to hear I can get it somewhere cheaper.so back to specialized or tassajera/trek dealers.I dont know where you live but here in florida people have bad attitudes torwards each other.thats just the way it is.So on to mountain bike researching. thanks alot though for youre opinions wraith they have helped me out alot.
    If you like being more upright then the Iguana might not be right for you. Not that it matters anymore since the guy at the shop was such a jerk. Good call leaving, you really need to find a shop that you feel comfortable dealing with.

I’m not sure what the how the geometry is set up for the other two bikes, but I think you’ll be more upright on the Specialized. Don’t quote on that though. Either way, both the Gary Fisher and Specialized are both excellent bikes. Go head and test ride them both. You’ll at the point where the final deciding factor is fits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ... chose a cannondale adventure 400

just to let you know I ended up getting a cannondale adventure 400,tried a giant iguana,specialized allez,the rockhopper comp no one had,so I saw this cannondale in the shop test rode it and fell in love with it.I got the jumbo size frame.any way well pleased with the cannondale.it helps to have the bikes there to test ride them cant go on the geometry of the bikes to buy them,not for me anyway.cool now my hunting is over.it rides faster than my mountain bike does.thanks for all the input learned alot from this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    just to let you know I ended up getting a cannondale adventure 400,tried a giant iguana,specialized allez,the rockhopper comp no one had,so I saw this cannondale in the shop test rode it and fell in love with it.I got the jumbo size frame.any way well pleased with the cannondale.it helps to have the bikes there to test ride them cant go on the geometry of the bikes to buy them,not for me anyway.cool now my hunting is over.it rides faster than my mountain bike does.thanks for all the input learned alot from this.
    OK, I'm confused. I thought you were looking for a mountain bike? The Cannodale Adventure is a hybrid road bike. It may look somewhat like a mountain bike but it isn't going to take the abuse of off road riding.

The Speicalized Allez is racing road bike with the drop bars. It's a sweet ride. I'm looking at getting the elite myself (for the road of course).

beer *****es n' bikes
    OK, I'm confused. I thought you were looking for a mountain bike? The Cannodale Adventure is a hybrid road bike. It may look somewhat like a mountain bike but it isn't going to take the abuse of off road riding.

The Speicalized Allez is racing road bike with the drop bars. It's a sweet ride. I'm looking at getting the elite myself (for the road of course).
    I am SO confused...
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    All this stuff about "Made In USA" needs to be looked into a lot more carefully if it's important to you. Firstly, Giant make loads of really good quality frames for many of the other leading brands. Secondly many 'Made in USA' bikes are in fact not made anywhere near the US, they may however, have some or all of the assembly done in the US. Does this make them US bikes? Does it matter? As long as your local bike shop gives you good backup, that should be far more important than the country of origin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Heeley
    All this stuff about "Made In USA" needs to be looked into a lot more carefully if it's important to you. Firstly, Giant make loads of really good quality frames for many of the other leading brands. Secondly many 'Made in USA' bikes are in fact not made anywhere near the US, they may however, have some or all of the assembly done in the US. Does this make them US bikes? Does it matter? As long as your local bike shop gives you good backup, that should be far more important than the country of origin.
    oh I looked into it very very carefully giant is one of the biggest companys out there from what I have gathered with asking questions and checking out the kenesis site and giant site and forums.at first I wasnt even gonna buy a non u.s.a. bike then I got some input about specialized,giant,gary fishers and treks and found out alot of them were made outside of the u.s.a. I changed my input on these made in china/taiwan bikes.giant bieng the biggest company from what i read.

when I started on this forum I had no idea what was a good company or not but after 2 weeks of solid time on the internet researching these companys,trek,gary fisher same company,giant,specialized etc and forum jumping.I have figured out that these companys all make there bikes in china/taiwan wherever overseas but the higher end bikes of trek and G.F made in the u.s.a assembled..I am not knocking made in china/taiwan bikes.if I would have found a made in china bike that fit me I would have bought it,I had no idea what type of rider I was when I got into this forum,I thought a mountain biker because that was the bike I bought first.problem here in florida is the only mountain biking I will be doing is climbing the dunlawton bridge 150 feet or higher not sure. or trail riding which I have no idea where to go yet havent even looked.dunlawton bridge thats probably the highest point here in florida road wise.

I bought a mountain bike 04 trek 3500 hardtail and I thought it was for me so I came to this forum asking questions about mountain bikes I wanted a lighter frame and better componants,.unfortunately the shop who had the giant was a as#hole and 70 dollers overpriced on the bike and he had to order it and I couldnt test ride the bike because he didnt have it in stock.so I looked at other options hybrids and road bikes.I like the mountain bike feel but also liked the road bike feel also, so I improvised got a hybrid cannondale it was the only one that fit that I could find for me needs which is to ride for tranportation.

I wasnt gonna spend $600 smacks on a bike and it get to the shop and it didnt fit me for riding.as for mountain bikes I understand the fever of wanting the best bike for mountain biking,but unfortanately until florida grows some mountains, or whatever is involved with mountain biking I am stuck with roads.I love to ride bikes,if I had some mountain trails to go to I would but I dont,so I got the best bike I thought was best for me.a hybrid. I tell you what though I have been on a few forums this ones the best for responses I will give it that. as for my first bike the trek its waiting to hit the trails when I find some to go too.u.s.a. made or not if the bike fits I will ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I was looking for a mountain bike,but none of the shops had what I wanted,plus most of test rides I did from giant,trek,specialized,didnt feel right for me,plus they didnt even have the bikes i wanted to test ride.so I had to go 40 miles out of my town to another shop they had the iguana 21"frame,didnt like it,tested the allez 61"or 62" frame I liked it alot.it was really nice,last ride the cannondale adventure 400. BINGO! THAT WAS IT.well maybe I am on the wrong forum but this place is where I learned the most from.I still have a mountain bike too so when i need to go riding off road, trails thats the best I will get.most of the riding I will do is in town.so a mountain bike is not a good commuter with those big tires that slow you down all the time. the allez is a real nice ride but i needed a comfort bike for around town,So when the funds permit a road bike is NEXT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was looking for a mountain bike,but none of the shops had what I wanted,plus most of test rides I did from giant,trek,specialized,didnt feel right for me,plus they didnt even have the bikes i wanted to test ride.so I had to go 40 miles out of my town to another shop they had the iguana 21"frame,didnt like it,tested the allez 61"or 62" frame I liked it alot.it was really nice,last ride the cannondale adventure 400. BINGO! THAT WAS IT.well maybe I am on the wrong forum but this place is where I learned the most from.I still have a mountain bike too so when i need to go riding off road, trails thats the best I will get.most of the riding I will do is in town.so a mountain bike is not a good commuter with those big tires that slow you down all the time. the allez is a real nice ride but i needed a comfort bike for around town,So when the funds permit a road bike is NEXT.
    Cool, you got a bike that you like and will ride, that’s the most important thing.

I know this is moot point now, but did you check out any the road warrior type bikes. A lot of company’s are making them now. They’re basically road bikes with flat bars. They put you in a more comfortable upright position, but they’re still fast. Anyway, that might be an option for you when you start looking for that road bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Congrats on your purchase!

I think you made good choice... It is whatever you like the best. I can't wait until my decision process is done (I am leaning heavily toward a C-dale Terra).

From what I have heard (I am a newbie too) you can't go wrong with cannondale. They are a more expensive bike, but if you can find a good deal that makes it all the better.

I am not totally against buying a bike made elsewhere, but our economy sure could use the suopport right now...

Have fun!

MarXXX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast