1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Choosing between Recoil and Overdrive comp - any advice?

Hi all,

I've been casually riding downhill on a Trek Y3 for years and am ready to move into a new bike. Due to getting a really good deal, I'm going for a Diamondback of some sort and have narrowed it down to the Overdrive Comp or Recoil Comp. Similar price, with the tradeoff being slightly better components (Overdrive) vs. full suspension (Recoil).

I only know the relative improvements, but not what their value is...for example, from my research, the SRAM X-5 on the Overdrive is one grade above the Shimano Alivio on the Recoil, but does it, along with the hydraulic vs. mechanical, RS XC 30 vs. Suntour XCR, etc. make up for it being a hardtail?

I do mostly downhill mountain biking and commuting around town for work. What do you think?

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'd go for the Overdrive. You'll be much better served by the larger wheels and a decent fork than cheap full-suspension and one of the infamous Suntour pogo sticks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Suntour makes that fork for bike paths. If you want to go off those it will need an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the response!

Actually, I linked it wrong; the Recoil is 29er as well. I read the new XCRs are better and almost comparable to the RS slightly lower model (XC 28 I think).

I know these aren't great components, but I was curious about the relative differences. With the 29 wheels on the recoil, you'd still go with the Overdrive Comp? And is the XC30 much better than the Suntour?

mtbr member
    What did you end up buying and how is it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I ended up spending the extra with the Recoil Pro to get the better components on a full suspension frame. So far it's been really great. Braking and shifting is super smooth and the shocks work well on both front and back. I had to get it tuned at the LBS because I don't have shock pump and the derailleurs were out of wack from the shipping, but I've ridden it twice now on a single track down hill trail in the area and it's been awesome. Disc brakes are amazing!!! I should've done this a long time ago...

mtbr member

Re: Choosing between Recoil and Overdrive comp - any advice?

That's great! I am in the same predicament as you but I only have money for the basic recoil. Or the overdrive sport. They are in the same price range now in amazon.

I am going to be using this bike exclusively in trails, mostly single track. I have a wally world bike for around the neighborhood stuff.

I know I will be saving more if I can save more for the higher model but it will mean riding a lot later too. I had a specialized hardrock 26 disc. Prior to that I used the wally world bike :-) but it turns out I really enjoy it. After 2 years of riding I wanted a 29er. Hence now my predicament.

Have you had any experience with other full suspensions? Does the single pivot rear suspension biter you? How about pedal bob and squeaking? Not much? How much mileage for you have now on you bike?

So sorry so may questions about this! I think you are the only recoil owner that has responded :-) most of owners probably are not member of this forum! Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using tapatalk

Fat-tired Roadie
    What's wrong with the Hardrock? I'm still riding mine.

Oh, right, you want a 29er...

Well, again, is there something actually wrong with your Hardrock? You could always wait a couple more paychecks to get the new bike.

IME, FS bikes are not all the same, not by a longshot. The different linkages perform differently and I think the basic geometries of the bikes are more diverse. My experience with some random demo days led me to decide I'd never buy a FS I couldn't demo. For a while, I actually hadn't ridden one I'd even liked. Now I have one coming in a few weeks. And yes, it's taking me a couple paychecks worth of patience to get the one I want. So my attitude, at the end of the day, is the same as it's always been - if you don't need to buy a bike to get started on your season, don't rush it, try to anticipate components that may expensively piss you off to have long-term, and if money is an issue in the purchase, see if you can let someone else pay for the new bike smell for you, buy on clearance, etc.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Thank you for those advice!

I sold my hardrock for a really good price. So I am bike less now. I think it is also in part "upgrade-itis" which is a difficult sickness. I was happy with the hardrock actually, but I think 29ers are the future. Not that 26ers will loose it's place. I think of it as smartphones. 3.5" keyboard less screens were hip when the first iPhone came out. Now everything is keyboard less and bigger.

I got the hardrock because the frame was great and it would be a good base for upgrades/builds.

So now I'm getting a 29er. I need a good base frame.

Do you think that the recoil is not a good base frame? Is it because it's a single pivot?

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, I bought the Droid 4 because I wanted to keep the keyboard. I'm promising myself my next phone will be smaller.

To return to the topic, I notice that the Diamondback's pivot is at the height of the large chainring and relatively far forward. Why not go ride one, and make your own decision? Try spinning a low gear, mashing a low gear, and climbing out of the saddle.

I notice that many FS bikes have shocks with custom valving and there are about a billion possible configurations for an off-the-shelf Fox. I'd just as soon not have to try to figure out what to order in a shock bought as an upgrade.

If you want a good platform to throw parts at and you need to be able to ride it now, IMO start with a hardtail. When you get bored, buy a nice FS as a bare frame and have at it. Get one that ships with a nice shock, so you don't have that to worry about, and look for exotic frame materials and weird axles, or whatever gets you excited.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    \
    To return to the topic, I notice that the Diamondback's pivot is at the height of the large chainring and relatively far forward. Why not go ride one, and make your own decision? Try spinning a low gear, mashing a low gear, and climbing out of the saddle.
    i thought the pivot was very near the BB... isnt it?

Can you at least tell me what to expect? what was your experience?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    LOL, I bought the Droid 4 because I wanted to keep the keyboard. I'm promising myself my next phone will be smaller.

I notice that many FS bikes have shocks with custom valving and there are about a billion possible configurations for an off-the-shelf Fox. I'd just as soon not have to try to figure out what to order in a shock bought as an upgrade.

If you want a good platform to throw parts at and you need to be able to ride it now, IMO start with a hardtail. When you get bored, buy a nice FS as a bare frame and have at it. Get one that ships with a nice shock, so you don't have that to worry about, and look for exotic frame materials and weird axles, or whatever gets you excited.
    +1
    I pulled the trigger on an Overdrive (Comp) and loving it. Now I have time to get my skills and savings improved for a nice FS bike I can spec out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I did a ton of research and made 2 rules for myselft:
    1. Generally, if I had to choose between better components on the hardtail vs. a cheap FS, I would go the hardtail.
    2. On the other hand, for good trail experience, there's a "minimum" level of components that i would get if I can afford it. So, if in my budget, the FS meets that level, I then go with that.

That's not true for everyone, but researching, renting, and talking to various pros basically summarized into those guidelines. With the DB bikes, the lowest priced FS that had the minimum level of components was the Recoil Pro. Until my budget could handle that, I was planning on a hardtail (Overdrive line). The Overdrive Comp also met the minimum IMO. I would really save up to get that if you could, or the Recoil Pro, which has similar components (+hydraulic disc brakes though...so awesome).

As for the FS, if not accounting for other components and looking at just the frame/shocks, my experience has been the opposite of AndrwSwitch above; for the most part, I've really enjoyed all the FS bikes I've tried. This includes regular riding on my (now) $200 Trek Y3 that was like a gen 1 FSR from the 90s, a family member's Ellsworth Truth ($2k), and a friend's Specialized Stumpjumper, along with random rentals for when I go visit my family. They are all different and of course a $3000 set of frame/shocks will feel different than the lowest end designs, but in regards to the suspension system for downhill single track, an FS is almost always more enjoyable than a hardtail for me.

That's just my experience. I don't have a lot of mileage on the Recoil (2 trips down a 7 miles local trail), but the ones I have done have been great. So, in summary, I'd go
    Recoild Pro > Overdrive Comp > Overdrive Sport > Recoil Comp.

As a side note, my wife has the Lux Sport which is similar to the Overdrive Sport (-hydraulic disc brakes) and she's been really happy with it. Granted, she's only 125 lbs so the fork works just fine for her, but you can always upgrade that in the future...

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    i thought the pivot was very near the BB... isnt it?

Can you at least tell me what to expect? what was your experience?
    It looks like a good couple of inches to me.

My riding has a relatively significant emphasis on climbing. So for me, it's very frustrating to ride a bike that squishes around under me when I try to develop a little power. FS is a mature enough design idea that I think most are pretty stable for someone who spins. But they still sometimes bounce around under mashing, climbing under the saddle, and sometimes using the rear brake. Not all, and I don't have saddle time on the Recoil. But you asked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My riding has a relatively significant emphasis on climbing.
    This is probably why our experience has been a bit different. I tend to do mostly downhill and if there is climbing, it's almost always a stretch of climbing by itself to get to a DH stage, so I lock out both the fork and the rear shock.

Guess the answer depends on what johnj2803 wants to do...

mtbr member

My riding has a relatively significant emphasis on climbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tstitans View Post
    I tend to do mostly downhill and if there is climbing, it's almost always a stretch of climbing by itself to get to a DH stage, so I lock out both the fork and the rear shock.

Guess the answer depends on what johnj2803 wants to do...
    The trails I do are mostly single track. There are some climbs and some steep downward obstacles too. But that's it. There are lots of rocks and roots. This is where I think the recoil or a 29er would help me.

For me, components are replaceable albeit more expensive. But you can't place a rear shock on the hard tail. Not sure if this single pivot recoil is worth it. I've seen some say that by the looks of it it looks like a walmart bike. Meaning its not worth upgrading. On the flip side I have seen the older recoils being upgraded and owners are happy with it.

I just ordered it from amazon! should be here thursday. Just talked with a rep, I have 30 days to make up my mind. full refund and free return!! BY then I would have an opinion of my own.

Thanks guys for all the replies! I will update once I have made up my mind.

Last edited by johnj2803; 07-15-2013 at 08:04 PM.