Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

choice to be made, need some advice

636 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Karupshun 
#1 ·
first post, so i figured id make it a good one. i currently own an 18" late 90's giant iguana se that needs an overhaul (tires, shifters/drivetrain, seat, etc). ive used it mostly for light trails but am now getting into rougher rides.
Heres my dilemma, is my 18" iguana worth upgrading or do i just go ahead and get a new bike (XC hardtail)? im looking at one of the giant "sport" bikes (yukon, rainier). im like 6'3" 175lbs, 35" inseam, is my old bike even the right size for me? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
An 18" is at the lower end of sizes for you, but not too small. maybe go for a 19" if you're XCin' instead of jumping. I'd be more concerned about the TT length

a complete overhaul for parts at retail prices is going to run very close to the cost of a new mid-range hard tail.
It's really tough to know when to draw the line on when to upgrade or just replace. Sentiment tells us to keep our trusty steeds. Even when they are long past pasture.

You can take it into a good shop, and they will give you a quote for the repairs, but you may balk at the price.

My opinion, go for something new. Disc brakes, and a modern fork/geometry is hard to beat
Save the Iguana for a singlespeed build later down the road for sostalgia's sake
Welcome to MTBR

#3 ·
Agreed. I'm 6'2" and won't ride anything less than 19.5". I can't imagine how far your seatpost is sticking out!:eekster:

You can spend hundreds on all the necessary upgrades, and it sounds like you really want to all new everything except for the frame. Or you can find a new hardtail for around $600 with decent forks, disk brakes, etc (and that is in your size!). Look for sales on 2006 models, and you can get even better deals.

#6 ·
Guyechka said:
Agreed. I'm 6'2" and won't ride anything less than 19.5". I can't imagine how far your seatpost is sticking out!:eekster:

You can spend hundreds on all the necessary upgrades, and it sounds like you really want to all new everything except for the frame. Or you can find a new hardtail for around $600 with decent forks, disk brakes, etc (and that is in your size!). Look for sales on 2006 models, and you can get even better deals.
I rode a 17" frame for a few years. It was doable with a 300mm seatpost, the problem was the short top-tube.. When it came to jumping and decents, the seat dissapeared and the bike was a blast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.