1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Check my cable routing?

So I read Sheldon's rules of cable routing and a few threads here but would someone mind looking at these pics and telling me if I did alright since I haven't run cables before? I did use the old cables to cut all the new housings.

http://forums.mtbr.com/members/svollmer/albums/cables/

The pic on the right shows the cables at the front. I haven't routed the rear brake hose so you can ignore that. The shifter cables cross in front and then run under the top tube. Rear shifter cable runs in the middle, front shifter cable on the right (when seated on bike). The bars turn fully without binding on the cables. The pic in the middle shows how the cables route under the top tube. The pic on the left shows the housings at the seat tube. I thought it looked kinda awkward because the cables have to cross due to the way they run under the top tube but I saw a few other bikes that looked like this. I'm probably being paranoid but thought I'd ask before cutting the cables. Thanks for looking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Only my opinion - the rear derailleur housing at the seat post is a tiny bit long - you've got a bit of reverse curve going on there.

All of the housing at the front looks long. When you turn the bars all the way each direction, the housing should have almost no slack. The front brake housing can work with very little excess as it turns with the bars. Just need to make sure the fork can extend all the way without pulling on the cable/hose.

Picture Unrelated
    Personally, I always route the front brake behind the front brake. It keeps it from flopping around. Other than that, it looks pretty good. The shifter housings might be a touch long for my tastes but really it's not worth taking things apart for.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks again for looking. I don't have anything connected yet so it would only take a few minutes to cut to the correct length. I have noticed that the ferrules on the front cables are sitting kind of angled in the guides under the top tube so maybe a little less length will help with that.

backwoods and backwards
    If it's not stitched up just yet I'd trim the front housings back a bit. I also like matching things up as close as I can so I can zip-tie my housings together. Makes it all look a bit cleaner.
    Live the life you love!