1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Cheap Craigslist Bike - Opinions?

Any thoughts on this bike? $300 (or a little less with some haggling) looks like a nice deal to me.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/1657621811.html

2007 DiamondBack Response Comp (original MSRP $650.00)

Frame & Fork
    Frame Tubing Material TIG-welded 6061 T6 aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model Marzocchi MZ Comp, 120mm

Components
    Brakeset Avid BB5 Disc w/ 6" rotors brakes, Avid FR-5 levers
    Shift Levers SRAM SX5 trigger 9spd
    Front Derailleur SRAM X-7
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-7
    Crankset Truvativ Blaze Power Spline, 22/32/44 teeth
    Bottom Bracket Truvativ Power Spline
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
    Chain KMC Z9000

Wheels
    Hubs Front: Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount, Rear: Alloy Cassette w/ CNC Disc Mount
    Rims Sun Ditch Witch, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.10" Kenda Klaw XT
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm) straight gauge

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks like an OK price but not a killer deal. One thing I've learned about Craigslist is that great deals are normally snatched up fast. The ad is dated 2 weeks ago, so the guy might be willing to drop the price if he really wants to get rid of it. The specs/components on the bike aren't bad, but its perceived value is likely hampered by the fact that it's sold at sporting goods stores (instead of "real" bike shops). Personally I would try to haggle the price down to $200 - $240.

mtbr member
    if you could get him down on the price, its in good shape, and its the right size, you should snag it.

Professional Speed Bump
    I would pick it up for $200-$250 and then swap out the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MaKn
    One thing I've learned about Craigslist is that great deals are normally snatched up fast.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Also, researching the fork and the rims has revealed that they aren't the greatest parts. (Putting it lightly.)

I figure I'll see how it looks, how it fits me, and offer $240. Maybe it hasn't sold because he's not willing to budge?