1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Changing Tires - A How To Guide?...

I would like to take off my Klein Death Grip tires and switch them out to a set of semi-slicks. I have two tire tools. I think I've changed MTB tires before - about 10 years ago. I just don't remember exactly how to do it and exactly how difficult it is. I have tubeless rims, but a normal tube set-up at this juncture. I plan to keep the tube set-up. I just want to take the knobbies off and put some semi-slicks on.

Can someone give me a little step-by-step list of what I need to do? I can mount the bike on my hitch rack to work on it.

w

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    I would like to take off my Klein Death Grip tires and switch them out to a set of semi-slicks. I have two tire tools. I think I've changed MTB tires before - about 10 years ago. I just don't remember exactly how to do it and exactly how difficult it is. I have tubeless rims, but a normal tube set-up at this juncture. I plan to keep the tube set-up. I just want to take the knobbies off and put some semi-slicks on.
    Can someone give me a little step-by-step list of what I need to do? I can mount the bike on my hitch rack to work on it.
    Park Tool already did the typing. Try this -

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I get my Panaracer Fire XC's off real easy. I deflate and pull them off. They fit the wheel so perfectly and are compliant enough that with a little pressure from my thumbs I can pop them off. I put my tires and tubes on together, slightly inflate the tube, put in tire. Line up valve stem, and put rim into tire.. I then work it around and on she goes. Nice and simple.. I can change the tire faster than it takes most people to get the tools out of their packs I imagin.. Well not that fast but you know what I mean.
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

Cheezy Rider
    Depends on the tires and rims. I have some that go on and off easy with no tools, others are a real bear even with tire irons. I've used Fire XCs, I'd put them in the easy category.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    This is my favorite tire changing how-to:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I created a free video podcast on how to change a flat tire. It's at:
    http://www.bettybikegear.com/tips.aspx

The goal was to carry it with you on your video ipod in case you got stuck and forgot how to change your flat..but you can also view it online. Let me know if it helps. My goal was to keep it simple.

Good luck!

Jen
    bettybikegear.com