1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Changing Grips

mtbr member
    May 2007

Changing Grips

This is my first post here although I have been reading this forum for quite a while. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and I always find it very helpful. My question is how do I get my old grips off my bars so I can install some new Ergon grips. The grips are the original ones that came on my Blur when I bought it in '03. I have tried to twist them off and they won't budge and I don't want to cut or pry the grips off because I have carbon bars. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? Any help would be appreciated.

banned
    Compressed air is the best, but without a home compressor?

The best bet is to get some water in there. Use a blunt tool to open up some space between the grip and bar and give it a little water spray. Twist the grip and work the water around. Raise some more grip, and spray/apply/drip some more water in. Twist. Lean bike over... let gravity be your friend. Twist, water, twist.

POP.

Grip is off. Dry things up with a clean rag and you are ready for the Ergons.

pronounced may-duh
    Slide a flat head screwdriver under the grip. Pry it up and spray some windex like stuff under the grip. The windex will act as a lubricant. Twist and pull off. Thats for regular grips.

Lock on style grips have a clamp at both ends. You loosen a tiny Allen bolt to loosen the clamp and then the whole thing just slides off.

I prefer the lock on grips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If the grips are soft enough, you may try to just roll them off, like a stocking. I did it with WTB's. The grips weren't harmed, I installed them on my other bike.
    If you succeed in rolling even a centimeter, you may safely cut through the rolled part, without risking to harm the bars, and go on.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    If the grips are soft enough, you may try to just roll them off, like a stocking. I did it with WTB's. The grips weren't harmed, I installed them on my other bike.
    If you succeed in rolling even a centimeter, you may safely cut through the rolled part, without risking to harm the bars, and go on.
    i did the same and managed to roll mine completely off

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I will try the compressed air first since I don't want to nick the bars and have to throw them in the trash. I will let you know how it goes.

pronounced may-duh
    Are these carbon bars? A nick or scratch is really nothing to loose sleep over. If the grips are trash you could cut them off and whatever scratch left by the blade is really no big deal.

bang
    if you don't have an air compressor, use a can of air duster. stuff the straw under the grip, give it a blast while at the same time pulling and turning the grip with your other hand.

mtbr member
    I've used a razor and sliced it but not all the way through then just peeled it off. To put the new ones on just use a little hair spray as lube and you're done.

mtbr member
    I would go with the water advice, I've done this quite a few times - I generally use a kitchen sqewer (the type you poke into a roast chook to see if it's baked) and if scratches are a worry I generally wrap it in electrical tape. Pry the grip up with it squirt some water in with a cup / syringe whatever and start twisting away, putting some more water in if needed.

To get the new grips on just wet them on the inside and twist on, they may take a good day to dry out properly (you could still ride them within a bouple of hours) and once they dry out completely they won't budge - and best of all no glue or hairspray needed to mess around with.

Alternately try using a good pair of scissors (like kitchen scissors) to cut off the old grip, easier to do without scratching your bars compared to using a stanley blade or something.

And lastly you'll probably get more methods suggested - some people really swear by the hairspray mentod, pretty much the same as the water method but use hairspray instead.
    [SIZE="2"]Life's a bi&*h & then you Ride![/SIZE]

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Compressed air is the best, but without a home compressor?
    You get the grips off with out a huge air compressor. When I do Ergon demos on the road I carry a can of the compressed air you can buy to clean off computer equipment. It works really, really well, and will only cost you like $5.

Jeff
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I used the air compressor method and it worked great. I just stuck it in the end of the first grip and plugged the opposite grip and it pushed that one right off. The second grip was a little more stubborn so I ended up rolling up the edge enough to get the nozzel under and it lifted the grip enough to work it off the bar. I now have my new Ergon grips on and they feel really good in the limited riding I did in my neighborhood while tweaking the angles on the grips. I can't wait to try them out on the trail tomorrow. Thanks again guys and gals.