1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

changing a fork out

hi all. first time poster here. i need some help i hope someone can offer up a valued opinion. i have a trek 7500 fx with a heavy aluminum fork. i have a pal that has a road bike fork. my question is this. can i swap out the fork on the 7500 for the road bike one. i knw i have to change tires to a thinner model 25 mm which is no problem. he says he has the brakes that go with the fork so i was wondering if this brake would be compatable with the cantilever brake on the rear. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    It would probably work. The steer tubes need to have the same diameter, and if the steer tube on the road fork has been cut shorter than what you've got, you may have to put your handle bars lower, or you may not be able to make the swap at all.

It probably won't change much. But it's your time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O.
    I'd check the brake boss and what kind of brake you can use. That's going to be the curve ball for you.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    One thread should be enough.

changing a fork out