1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    specs on the drivetrain:

Front derailleur . . . Shimano Deore Top pull, 34.9 mm/ 1 3/8" attachment
    Rear derailleur . . . . Shimano Deore LX SGS
    Crankset . . . . . . . . . Bontrager Select 44/32/22 64/106mm bolt hole circle
    Bottom bracket . . . . TruVativ Giga-Pipe 73 x 113 (shell x axle,mm), ISIS splined axle
    Chain. . . . . . . . . . . . Shimano HG-73 9 speed, 106 links
    Cassette. . . . . . . . . . SRAM PG950 11-34, 9spd

----------------
    the cable loosens when i'm on smallest ring...according to vid, i tighten barrel adjuster all the way, make low limit adjustments, then pull cable taught and tighten...then make further adjustments with barrel once high limit is set

-----------------

appreciate the help guys...getting late and i put the bike away, so hopefully the LBS class will show me a few things

will update tomorrow
    Last edited by sinfony78; 12-09-2012 at 09:13 PM.

if the cable is getting loose at the small chainring, then the derailleur is reaching some kind of lower limit. it's either the limit screw (you're sure you have been adjusting the right one?), some debris in there is preventing the derailleur from moving, or the derailleur really is at its minimum and there's some other problem like with your chainline like Andrw mentioned.

With your crankset/bb combo, your chainline would be affected by how your bb is threaded into your bb shell (is it centered, off to the left a few mm, or off to the right a few mm?) and your bb spindle length. In your case, check to make sure your bb is not off-center a few mm to the non-drive side of the bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Deore and LX are really nice groups. Certainly things wear out, but I don't think you're going to do better replacing those derailleurs if they're not actually worn out. Incidentally, while I have the SLX front derailleur, I've just been buying Deore rear derailleurs. I figure that when, not if, I break them, they cost less to replace. My 'cross bike also gets cheap wheels until I actually wear one out rather than damaging them in crashes. "Don't race what you can't replace."

Hopefully you learn something good today. If not, I think your best way forward is to figure out what, exactly, is stopping your derailleur cage from returning to a position closer to the centerline of the bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    if the cable is getting loose at the small chainring, then the derailleur is reaching some kind of lower limit. it's either the limit screw (you're sure you have been adjusting the right one?), some debris in there is preventing the derailleur from moving, or the derailleur really is at its minimum and there's some other problem like with your chainline like Andrw mentioned.

With your crankset/bb combo, your chainline would be affected by how your bb is threaded into your bb shell (is it centered, off to the left a few mm, or off to the right a few mm?) and your bb spindle length. In your case, check to make sure your bb is not off-center a few mm to the non-drive side of the bike.
    i guess i meant the cable in general is slack while on the small chainring, which is how it's supposed to be, right? i'm checking the tension under the top tube..however, it is still bolted down to the derailleur pretty well

as far as crankset/bb combo, i've made no changes down there...i'll ask the shop today what they think

and this is the race face chainring set i bought -
    Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2