1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Changing from an 8spd cassette to a 9spd

I am wanting to change out my Shimano Alivo rear der., 8spd cassette, chain, and rear shifter. I am wanting to go Sram x7 der, and shifter, sram chain and cassette. I have a Mongoose Rockadile ALD Pro, I know it isn't the top of the line..... If I am wanting to do this conversion, are these four parts all I will need?

Fat-tired Roadie
    That should cover it. You might replace the derailleur cable housings while you're at it. You should definitely replace the cable itself, but that usually ships with a new shifter anyway.

The chain and cassette don't need to be SRAM, but usually they're a bit cheaper anyway, so they've usually been my choice in the past.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Curious... would you need to replace the hub as well to fit a sram cassette?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nope. It's been very much in SRAM's interest to match Shimano's standards. Freehubs haven't changed much since the mid '90s, when SRAM would have boxed itself out of the business if they didn't make everything Shimano-compatible.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No, 99% of Sram fits Shimano freehubs which are the industry standard, except for Campy of course!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I hope this will make a difference in the quality and reliability of shifts....

Tired of having to shift twice to change gears.

Is there any specialty tools that I will need to buy?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yup. It's a bicycle after all. You'll need a chain whip and a lock ring tool.

Apologies if you've done this, but before replacing durable parts for better drivetrain performance, make sure your chain is clean and lubed, your cables and housings aren't too skanky, and your drivetrain is tuned well. See parktool.com for tutorials for just about everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It sounds like a couple twists of ye olde barrel adjuster would likely take care of your problem for $0.00.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    According to the all knowing web, since I am having trouble shifting into a higher gear, i.e. away from the spokes, I need to tighten the barrel nut clockwise until hesitation ceases. Does this sound right?

(damn there goes my excuse to upgrade parts.)

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Go 9-speed SRAM X7. It's worth the upgrade price. The only learning curve...is getting used to not using the index finger for anything but braking now.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Armstrong View Post
    According to the all knowing web, since I am having trouble shifting into a higher gear, i.e. away from the spokes, I need to tighten the barrel nut clockwise until hesitation ceases. Does this sound right?

(damn there goes my excuse to upgrade parts.)
    Don't let me stand in the way of a sprucing up the rig with some new hardware, but if you're not dying to spend $$, I would definitely try doing as you said above. Maybe even hit up a knowledgeable friend or even the lbs if you have trouble. You could've bent your derailleur or hanger inward a bit at some point and put things out of alignment. If you're having trouble upshifting, that would be a likely cause. As long as it's only bent a little, this adjustment should compensate for it.

If it were downshifting that wasn't working, that would probably be from cable stretch/housing compression, and you'd want to turn the adjuster out (counter-clockwise) to take up the extra slack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Don't let me stand in the way of a sprucing up the rig with some new hardware, but if you're not dying to spend $$, I would definitely try doing as you said above. Maybe even hit up a knowledgeable friend or even the lbs if you have trouble. You could've bent your derailleur or hanger inward a bit at some point and put things out of alignment. If you're having trouble upshifting, that would be a likely cause. As long as it's only bent a little, this adjustment should compensate for it.

If it were downshifting that wasn't working, that would probably be from cable stretch/housing compression, and you'd want to turn the adjuster out (counter-clockwise) to take up the extra slack.
    I will definitely check that out! I would like to upgrade my gear, however I am a troubleshooter/problem solver at heart. So this derailleur will work flawlessly before she is removed!