1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Changing 34t ring on casette with 36t or 38t?

Hi friends
    I've bought a used great mtb with a 1x9 XT drivetrain. I love the bike and the setup but there are a few places on my regular loop where I could use a bit of a lower gear. I have a Shimano XT 11-34 and a 32t in the front. I dont wanna change the front ring cause I dont wanna loose my high gear for going down.

So my question is: Is it possible to change the 34t sprocket on my cassette with a 36t or even a 38t?

Thanks in advance!
    Mat

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There might be a replacement ,but derailuers can only take so many teeth . You can look what yours will take on the simano web site. If you went to 10 speed you couls go to a 36.

EDR

mtbr member
    The Shimano HG-61 is a 9 speed cassette than comes in a 12-36 version, but its a lower end (heavier) cassette.

And then there's this:

38 Tooth Cog for Mountain Bike Cassette 38t Sprocket | eBay

Fat-tired Roadie
    With enough tinkering, all things are possible. Two more teeth on your largest cog won't help all that much. How big is your chainring? You may be able to get a bigger change that way.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Front chainring is 32T but I dont really wanna go down in size because Im afraid of loosing my high gear. I wanna go 10 speed but my drivetrain is good so I see no point in changing that now. I will do some derailluer research and change to a 36 or 38 on top. Thanks for the replys!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you really use 32/11? I can spin it out on the road... but it's mountain biking.

You could always go to a double or triple. There's a reason multi-chainring setups have been dominant for so long.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I would just purchase the cassette above. The HG cassette is really your only option for a 36 gear up top on a 9 speed setup. I run 32 front and 11/34 rear on my trail bike and spin out the 11 quite a bit. When you ride more, you will find it will be easier to climb, even in with the 34 rear.

If you go 10 speed eventually, I would suggest going to an 11/36 cassette with a 34 front ring. Your low gear will feel similar to what you have currently, but you will pick up some top end.