1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Chainring repacment

Hello, My bike came with SRAM 44/33/22t chainrings. I took off the 44 and put on a Race Face bash guard and replaced the chain once. I have bent teeth on the other two rings and straightened them out in a vice multiple times, but I think it's time to replace them. I cant seem to find a 33/22 setup anywhere. Race Face makes a 32/22 will this work? Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Are you replacing just the chainrings or the entire crank? Most 4 bolt chainrings with the same BCD (104/64) should work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just the rings, and thanks for the quick response.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Price a complete crankset while you're at it. Waste bothers me, but you may be surprised.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You must have spectacular crashes to bend the teeth on the middle and inner rings with a bashguard

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Price a complete crankset while you're at it. Waste bothers me, but you may be surprised.
    Concur with one proviso. I recently replaced my Deore crankset with an XT 2X (the 3X was actually available even cheaper) for slightly more than the cost of aftermarket rings. On the up side, the crankset came with an external bearing set that I can't use but will probably sell. On the downside, the RaceFace rings I put on my last bike were much better than the factory XT rings they replaced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the help guys. Actually I haven't really crashed hard at all, the stock drivetrain just seems to be junk. I broke the chain on the first ride, replaced the cassette after a month and have been straightening out the chainrings intermittently. Thanks for the complete crankset suggestion, I'll look into it.

local trails rider
    I suppose it is possible to bend chainring teeth with forceful shifting under load.
    I don't know if this is the case here, but it is a possibility.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hmmm from what I see here bending chainrings seems to be an uncommon occurrence. Well I'm 6' 3' 230lbs and this is the first bike I've owned with the 10spd setup. While at my LBS I questioned whether this type of setup would be robust enough for me, and they said it would be.

Fat-tired Roadie
    What bike is it?

Most chainrings are 6000- or 7000-series aluminum and relatively thick. But at the lowest end, I think chainrings stamped out of sheet metal might not hold up too well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    chain rings are cheap and can be found on the bay in all shapes, sizes, and colors. FWIW, I'm 275, 6'5" and I build all of my bikes with old parts from CL and the bay and I've never bent a tooth on a chainring. A new set of quality rings should last you a whole season if you're a racer or last many years if you are an intermittent rider.
    Keeping the drivetrain properly cleaned and lubed will certainly prolong its' life.

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, I bent a few when I was half your weight. Shifting under load can do it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions, I have been known on occasion to shift under load, lol. I do keep my drivetrain clean and lubed and I ride between 35 and 50 miles a week.