1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Chainring fitting - any particular way?

Hi,

I recently stripped my bike and rebuilt it, using a different front mech (2005 XT) as it did not need a clamp spacer like previous (2006 LX). After adding new cable, fitting mech with correct tolerances:

Low limits: Front small, rear big 2mm chain clearance from cage
    High Limits: Front big, rear small <2mm clearance from cage
    Cage position as close to front big cog without interference, slight bit of toe in.
    Cable tension by hand then adjuster at shifter.

After playing with the tension for a bit the gears were shifting but i could never get an even balance of quick up and down shifts - it was one or the other or none at all. (Drove me mad )

The only thing I can think of is when I put the chain rings back on there is a particular config that i should have stuck too? is this the case or can they just be bolted back on in any way (the chain rings have different grooves and pins and different places).

Any clues

Thanks
    Andy.

mtbr member
    There is usually a short post on the outside of each chainring that indicates where the crank arm should pass over the chainring. When you bolt it on, make sure that post is lined up and facing the crank arm. Your inner ring may not have one, unless it's also ramped and pinned, but the middle and outer ring usually have them.

If it's not the chainrings, all I can say is be patient. Front derailleurs (or mechs, for you folks across the pond) are probably my least favorite part to dial-in. It's always frustrating, and when I finally get it right, I swear it's luck and not skill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks MrMook,

My crank does not have the pins aligned under the arm - I will switch this round later and give it ago. Thanks for the advice, definitely what I was looking for. Know what you mean about front mechs, theres definitely some voodoo involved when setting them up