1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Chain whip necessary for Install / removing a Cassette?

I am going to be installing a cassette on to a spare set of rims. I know that I will need a lockring tool, but is there something else i could use instead of a chain whip? Im trying to spare the expense of buying one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You don't need a chainwhip to install a cassette, but you will to remove one.
    All of the true things I'm about to tell you are shameless lies.

I4NI
    Got an old chain? I guess you could screw it to a 2x4
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek
    Got an old chain? I guess you could screw it to a 2x4
    +1 Make your own. Use an old chain with a piece of wood, metal, or vice.

With a leather glove, I can usually hold it with my hand.

Class Clown
    heavy duty glove and rag/towel

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A piece of chain about 10" long ,a piece of bar stock 10" long 3/16 thick drill a hole in the bar stock for the chain pin install the pin though the chain and bar stock ,then you have a chain whip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    interesting...

mtbr member
    You could always order this for $10 and drink some beer till the mailman drops it off.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...5%20SETWH5.htm
    :wq

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You might be able to hold the cassette in place with rags or a thick glove, but the chain whip makes it much easier.

You do have to be careful to keep the entire length of the chain wrapped onto the cog (when using a chain whip), or it may pop off and injure you. I usually put the wheel in front of me on the floor while seated in a chair, and hold the whip with my left hand with the loose end of the chain wrapped around the top of the cog so the loose end of the chain falls so it is on a tooth, and sometimes I can hold it there with the thumb on my right hand as I turn the wrench that is on the lockring tool.

I usually use the chain whip to install as well (using the opposite hands), but it isn't absolutely necessary as the ratcheting action of the freehub will stop the cassette from turning in that direction. I just don't care to put that much wrench force directly to the pawls of the freehub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    heavy duty glove and rag/towel
    That's what I used on the 1st time I changed a cassette a couple weeks ago. Lockring tool, glove, done.

mtbr member
    I still just use an old chain and vicegrips.