mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Chain Ring Question

Is there a noticable difference between a 44t chain ring and a 46t chain ring?

pronounced may-duh
    I don't think so. 46 will be slightly faster. But really how often do you use your big ring? I found I never use mine so I replaced it with a bash ring. That may be the reason for my answer. Please note you may need a longer chain if your switching to the 46

No good in rock gardens..
    I've run both sorts. You won't notice a huge difference in open country with a 46 tooth.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use the big ring all the time because I ride on the road and very light trails at the moment.

You may be scratching your head wondering why I bought a mountain bike instead of a street bike right now - so I will answer that:

I have been suffering from chronic lower back pains due to my work and it was advised that I started to exercise and bicycling was one of the things that was mentioned.

Since I live in the Netherlands, most of the roads are brick - which happen to be uneven due to the heavy construction & delivery trucks that use them on a regular basis.

I ended up getting a full suspension bicycle to help take the beating out of what I would be going through with a hardtail since the bulk of the damage was done when I was in my early 20's and was too stupid (and poor) to let everything heal properly in the first place.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have several great hills and I ride down them fast, at 63 km/h I am about 129 rpm. I will get a 46 th big ring for these burns.

This should get me up to 66 km/h, and with a little more foot speed I am trying for 70 km/h.

I think it will give me a few more options for gear ratios for some long fire road descents above the 30 km/h range.