Thread: Chain Pins???

X-Ray Guy

Chain Pins???

ok i was out for my 5th hard ride today and i ended up snappin a plate on my chain so me and my friend pull over and bust out the chain tool. Take off the broken link and since we dint have any new pins ( i dont kno we need them) i put the old pin back into the chain. Rode another hour and then got home, cleaned and lubed the frame, went to spin the crank and boom it got sucked into the rear derailler, same pin. So thats the situation, now heres my questions:

1) Do u always need a new pin for a shimano chain? its the LX (73) series chain
    2) Anybody have a site to describe proper pin chaining or such?
    3) I took out a link and a half, how will that affect my riding?
    4 Should i get a new chain?

I just want to kno where to go from here cuz my chain is sittin on a table. I think it just needs a new pin but im willing to get a new chain

Thanx
    GF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz
    1) Do u always need a new pin for a shimano chain? its the LX (73) series chain.
    Yes, you should never reuse a pin for 9-speed shimano chain.

2) Anybody have a site to describe proper pin chaining or such?
    Check out Parks Tool's page on how to remove and install a chain.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml

In theory, the chain will be too short to shift to the largest chain ring up front and largest gear on the cassette in the rear. In reality, that really something you donít want do anyway because youíll be seriously crossing the chain.

Personally, I would replace the chain just to be safe. But I donít really see any problems with just replacing the pin as long as you donít cross the chain, which is something you shouldnít do even with a good chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New Chain

If you don't have a problem getting a new chain I would get a Sachs chain. i gave up on Shimano long ago. Just a suggestion.

something
    Mar 2004
    I did the same thing last month. I ended up replacing the reused pin with a proper replacement pin and it has been fine since. I would not spend the money on a new chan unless it is worn or otherwise damaged.
    "POLICE STATION TOILET STOLEN ... Cops have nothing to go on."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No Prob

[QUOTE=Jawz]

1) Do u always need a new pin for a shimano chain? its the LX (73) series chain
    It works best with a new pin. I have reused the old ones but it is a real pain. When you buy a Shimano chain it comes with 2-3 pins. Keep the extras in your trail kit for this situation. Also the LBS probably has some that they will give you.

probably won't hurt.
    If it is worn out! Check the chain for wear.

Besides keeping spare pins with you also get some power links. I use ones made by sachs. These links go on and off without tools and are a great, permanent, reapair item out on the trail. I've never had to fix my chain using one but have given several away. When installing a new chain I always the Sachs link as well. Remember that you will need pliers to break off the replacement pin on the Shimano chain. I carry a Leatherman tool and find it fixes more stuff than the bike tool does.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

mtbr member
    I have a shimano chain that has broken three times in the past month (it was too long to start with, and for one of the breaks I did not have the special pin, so probably the reason for the second break), anyway, I am replacing it with a SRAM chain soon, whcn I put on a new cassette, but for now the Shimano chain has a SRAM powerlink in it from the last break, which seems to be holding fine.