Thread: Chain lube

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Chain lube

what do you guys suggest?

AZ
    banned
    Bio degradable chainsaw bar and chain oil , available at some Wal Marts .

Obsession? Its a Passion!
    Chain saw and motor oil tend to collect dirt and grime more quickly than bicycle-specific chain lubes. ( I used to work in a Stihl shop, we actually but bar oil on foam filters to catch more dust)

Check out your LBS for some bicycle chain lube. Depending on the conditions that you ride, there are may different flavors to choose from (we stock 14 different types and brands). Finish line and Pedro's offer some great products for entry-level users.
    Bike to Work,
    Work to Live,
    Live to Bike.

mtbr member
    I like White Lightning Clean Ride for dry conditions and Rock n' Roll Extreme lube for wet nasty conditions. Tri-Flow is also good for all around use.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    +Infinity

If you prefer to use a "name brand" lube, I recommend Pedros Chainj or GO!, Ernesto Lube, Green Oil, or Phil Wood Bio-Lube

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabikerepair
    Chain saw and motor oil tend to collect dirt and grime more quickly than bicycle-specific chain lubes. ( I used to work in a Stihl shop, we actually but bar oil on foam filters to catch more dust)
    Simply not true when it comes to wet lubes...Bar and Chain Oil does not collect any more dirt and grime than "bicycle specific" wet chain lubes such as Finish Line Wet or Pedros Syn. I've been using wet lubes for many, many years and there is no increase in dirt collection with a good Bar and Chain Oil when applied correctly (the same way you apply a bicycle wet lube).

Here is my chain after a muddy ride, I use a Vegetable Oil based Bar and Chain Oil cut with Canola Oil

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    T-9 is the best lube I've used.

Boeshield T-9 Lubricant Originally developed by Boeing Aviation for the protection of aircraft components. Now available for your bike or anything else that needs a high quality lube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Here is my chain after a muddy ride, I use a Vegetable Oil based Bar and Chain Oil cut with Canola Oil
    That picture is pretty impressive. I don't think any of my chains ever looked that clean brand new from their little plastic boxes.

Of course the real question is how long does it last. I'd like to know more.

Added your blog to my reader, my current bottle of lube is still pretty full. I'll definitely keep an eye on that as an option though.
    Last edited by grivooga; 03-21-2010 at 10:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabikerepair
    Finish line and Pedro's offer some great products for entry-level users.
    I didn't know there was such thing as entry-level chain oil!

On wuss patrol

Liquid Wrench

Chain Lube. Cheap. Available at most hardware stores. The can goes a long ways. Doesn't attract dirt too badly. Since I clean and lube after each ride, this stuff works great.

Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_D
    what do you guys suggest?
    Why didn't you keep it simple and ask about religion.

Seriously this is a topic where if you ask 12 people you'll get 13 opinions. What you might do is go the the lube reviews section here on mtbr, and see which draw strong reviews.

Because different lubes perform better or worse under varying conditions, don't just go by overall rating. Read the reviews of high rated lubes looking for ones from folks in your area or one with similar conditions.

I could give offer you more specific advice, but you'll see from my signature that I have a not-so-slight prejudice.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I could give offer you more specific advice, but you'll see from my signature that I have a not-so-slight prejudice.
    So why bother posting the drivel in this thread then? We're not dumb. You have a link, so posting filler can bring n00b's to your site. We get it. If you wanted to be genuine, you'd not post at all.

"Beware of advice from shills"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    So why bother posting the drivel in this thread then? We're not dumb. You have a link, so posting filler can bring n00b's to your site. We get it. If you wanted to be genuine, you'd not post at all.

What??
    The only poster to refer the OP to the lube reviews rather than just state a personal preference for a lube used in what might be totally different conditions and to stress that he needs to look for the best lube for his local conditions and you flame him?
    Jesus, what do you do when someone gives really good advice, shoot them?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    fuk walmart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by disfocus
    What??
    The only poster to refer the OP to the lube reviews rather than just state a personal preference for a lube used in what might be totally different conditions and to stress that he needs to look for the best lube for his local conditions and you flame him?
    Jesus, what do you do when someone gives really good advice, shoot them?
    Mtbr reviews aren't exactly known to be unbiased. They are more of another tool for advertisers, as well as a popularity contest. The best way to get such highly specialized advice is not from an internet forum, but to see what others in the op's riding area are using with success, since chainlubes tend to be very specific for areas, and there are an infinite number of variables in terrain composition, climate, and trail style dictating how the rider will use the drivetrain. The op didn't include any content of the above, and everyone started giving advice without knowing a single thing about such things as where the OP rides, climate, type of terrain, or even what equipment. So none of the advice here is "really good" advice. It's just a bunch of people pushing their post counts up, hoping to be the authority on chain lube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mtbr reviews aren't exactly known to be unbiased. They are more of another tool for advertisers, as well as a popularity contest. The best way to get such highly specialized advice is not from an internet forum, but to see what others in the op's riding area are using with success, since chainlubes tend to be very specific for areas, and there are an infinite number of variables in terrain composition, climate, and trail style dictating how the rider will use the drivetrain. The op didn't include any content of the above, and everyone started giving advice without knowing a single thing about such things as where the OP rides, climate, type of terrain, or even what equipment. So none of the advice here is "really good" advice. It's just a bunch of people pushing their post counts up, hoping to be the authority on chain lube.
    Fair point, but I still reckon that checking for reviews from people in the OP's area was among the better advice given. And there's a difference between fair disclosure and shilling!!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    It's shooting in the dark to check for reviews, especially when one is still going by brand. It's different if one can search by location.

There's also an over-extension of "fair disclosure" here, and something people have been having lots of conflict with on mtbr for some time, with regard to fair disclosure. You can even check out the felt forum. There's another manufacturer/advertiser there that's got "fair disclosure", yet driving the threads about a competitor's bike failing. It's called natural association. Put in a link signature, and people will click on it.

local trails rider
    I've recently been using some version of White Lightning and it is working fine. Conditions have mainly been clean, though, so I don't know how it does with lots of dust or mud.

Others have been praising Finish Line products.

Underskilled
    +1 on chainsaw lube.

I have two facecloths on my bike rack, 1 soaked in oil one clean.
    At the end of everyride, wipe clean then wipe oily.

Perfect

On wuss patrol
    So none of the advice here is "really good" advice. It's just a bunch of people pushing their post counts up, hoping to be the authority on chain lube.
    I'm not sure what is more inferior in quality, their advice or your assessment of why people posted in this thread.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

I don't see your problem. A man asks about lube, folks give him opinions which are nothing more than their own personal biases. I could have done something similar, but since I make a chain lube feel he's entitled to know my bias and I tell him.

But since he wants advice, I send him the the review section where he or any reader could get a broad overview of what's available, and what folks think of it. Whatever you might think, I think that was sound, unbiased advice.

I also gave him the most important bit of the advice he'd gotten so far, which was that different lubes work better or worse in different areas. I therefore urged that he read the text of the reviews and focus on those products that worked best in conditions similar to his.
    I emphasized the last because that particular bit of drivel is so similar to what you said he needed to consider. Is that bad advice?

Yes, I do have a link to my site under my signature, but no one twists anybody's arm, and if you'd been around a while you'd know that whatever my motives are, I have a solid reputation on this forum for giving good, helpful, unbiased advice.

The irony in your rant is that according to you, the one poster who might actually have expertise in the area shouldn't post simply because he does so.

Call me a shill, but it seems the only poster here with an ax to grind is you. I also suggest you're careful about who call a shill. I can't speak for the reviews overall, but those for my product come from many of the most active members on this forum and some of them might be offended.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I'm scared of who might be offended on this forum about shill reviews.

mtbr member

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    shill!!

~Disc~Golf~

Members who have read this thread: 1