1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Chain Lube

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Chain Lube

Simple question, can I use motorcycle chain lube on a bicycle chain?

AKA Dr.Nob
    Certainly

BUT there's no way in the world I would. It is too sticky and becomes a massive dirt magnet. Bike chain lube (wether wet or dry is nowhere near as thick or sticky).
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    I use Maxima chain wax....works great. I get it at the local moto shop, $8 for a huge 20oz can..sure beats being the $5 for 4oz bottle at the LBS....

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    +1 for Maxima. Works great in SoCal conditions.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Check out Pro Link, I love this stuff. It's not thick, doesn't build up, and dirt doesn't seem to stick to it.

ProLink web site

mtbr member
    Pro Link is good stuff! Really easy to apply and keeps things clean.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Kano Labs "molyfilm dry lube". Cheap, lasts a long time, works great, doesn't attract much dirt.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkoman
    Simple question, can I use motorcycle chain lube on a bicycle chain?
    Sure ya can but I wouldn't suggest using it in its original state. Do a search here for Homebrew and you'll find how to use it.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.