1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Chain/gear hopping on me when starting off

I wasn't quite sure how to search for this, so I created a thread, sorry.

When I start off or get on it hard, the chain hops and/or the gear shifts on me. What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Search for the term "ghost shifting" as that's what it's most commonly referred to as. In short it could be any one of a few things; Mis-adjusted derailleurs (front or rear), bent rear derailleur hanger, stiff chain links, or worn out chain and/or chain-rings/cassette. What gears are you in when it happens, if you're cross-chaining (big front to big back or small front to small back) that can cause the same issues because the chain line is too far out of whack.

How old is the bike, what kind is it?

mtbr member
    damn double posts
    Last edited by bvibert; 05-16-2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: double post

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I wasn't paying too close attention to it when it happened but it very well may have been cross chaining. I'll pay attention to it next time and be careful to avoid doing it. It's a brand new bike, but I guess it could also be adjustment issues. I'll test it out and do some more research. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You probably shifted after you stopped so the chain didn't get a chance to shift, then when you started it completed the shift, happens alot when you are going up a hill try to shift down and then get off the bike.

Shift early.

There's no app for this.

you can

shoot over here and read up how to adjust the rear dérailleur, and keep it adjusted.

Jim