mtbr member
    Mar 2014

chain flopping around

i have a '13 gt Sensor expert 9r, and have noticed that my chain seems to flop around a lot when going off of drops, or even just bumpy terrain.

today, when zipping through a gully (maybe 30 foot vertical, 45deg slope both down and up) the chain actually came off the (rear) sprocket, made some pretty horrific noises and forced the crank around several times. This both startled me and obviously messed up my riding up the uphill side of the gully.

Is there anything I can install maybe mid-span between crank sprocket and rear derailleur that would hold it in place a little better?

XT rear derailleur, and Deore 3 sprocket crank, btw...

Should I maybe go to a 2x10 from the current 3x10 setup? I hardly ever use the big front sprocket... maybe that would allow me to shorten the chain a lil'?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Which gears were you in ? You should be in at least the middle chain ring and in the bigger cassette gears.The chain coming off and jamming into spokes or between the cassette and frame is a adjustment issue of the derailleur stops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I found when i first started riding this happened to me a lot.

After a few rides you should get used to landing with the back wheel first then the front, for me anyway this stopped the chain slopping around. I have not had any been chain noises since i got better at landing my jumps/hops

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bionicon USA C.Guide Chainguide

Love mine and they just released a cheaper version.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    since you are already riding a 10-speed bike, get a Shimano Shadow Plus or a SRAM Type II derailleur. these newer derailleurs have a "clutch" that keeps the chain from bouncing around like that.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by L8APXR View Post
    Should I maybe go to a 2x10 from the current 3x10 setup? I hardly ever use the big front sprocket... maybe that would allow me to shorten the chain a lil'?
    This should be your first step, unless you're just itching to spend money.
    Also, make sure your inner limiter screw is adjusted properly to keep the chain out of the spokes, as rrdave mentioned.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I was in middle sprocket on front, and maybe 2nd or 3rd largest in back. when the chain came off it wedged itself between the largest rear sprocket and the clear plastic spoke protector thing.

because GIANT
    that GT is a trail bike not a gravity bike

you want chain to stay put, start adding chain tensioners and guides you'd normally find on a gravity or dh bike.

if you want to low-dollar it, set up rear der limit screw to the second biggest cog, this way it reduces or eliminates the chance it can wedge up. same with front der...eliminate on ring by forcing limit screw...but usually you can shift the chain back onto the front rings

Trailhead Poseur
    I was in middle sprocket on front...
    That's a part of the problem. If you're going downhill or over big drops, shifting to the large front ring will take up the slack in the chain and you'll get less chain slap.

If you don't use the big ring (only the top three or so ratios in the big ring are really unique, everything else overlaps with the middle ring), you may be a candidate for a 2x conversion because you can shorten the chain which will also reduce slap - you resize the chain considering the middle ring as your big ring. It's a relatively cheap option, all you need is a bashguard to replace the big ring. You don't even need a new front shifter, you can turn your existing 3x shifter into a 2x by shifting into the middle ring and then turning the high limit screw in until it just touches the stop.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    You can usually milk some more derailleur tension by messing with the B and P tension. B-tension is pretty straightforward, P is a little more work. Not sure if the newer derailleurs still have the adjustment that tightens the spring up some, but that can help also. They used to keep it kinda tucked away underneath and on the inboard side of the unit; there would be an allen head that rotated a cam around which the end of the spring was connected.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I was in middle sprocket on front, and maybe 2nd or 3rd largest in back. when the chain came off it wedged itself between the largest rear sprocket and the clear plastic spoke protector thing.
    at least you still had the spoke guard on...that and the reflectors usually end up in the dumpster. It could of got expensive otherwise & as mentioned above, a type 2 or Shadow Plus RD will eliminate all or most of this, providing it is adjusted properly
    2014 Nail Trail 29...