1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Chain coming off

Hi Guys,

Still being somewhat new and when I run into a problem I come to you guys

Today I was cleaning my chain by back pedaling and the chain came off on me. I know how to put it back on but was wondering why it might have happen? Could it be from holding the chain too tightly and while running it through the towel? or, what Im thinking, is that maybe I twisted it somehow slightly while it was backpedaling and worked it way off the cog.

Thanks for any input

What could go wrong ...
    Does it come off when you back pedal without holding the chain?
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    No it doesn't, thats why I think I might have been holding the chain somewhat hard and at a weird angle. I have only had my chain come off twice since getting my bike over a year ago.

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    No it doesn't, thats why I think I might have been holding the chain somewhat hard and at a weird angle. I have only had my chain come off twice since getting my bike over a year ago.
    I bet you're right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think you are onto the root cause. To avoid this grip the chain between the towel just in front of your RD bottom pulley. That will pretty much keep you from being able to tweak the chain enough to mess up it's line and cause it to jump off, just don't put too much pressure on it as you back pedal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've had mine come off if I shift and then pedal backwards instead of forwards. I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Another question. Sometimes when pack pedaling I notice the chain has a little hiccup on one of the cogs almost like it has a little bounce,lol. Would this indicate a stuck roller in one of the links? I watch the chain as it goes through the jockey wheels and don't see any stiff link? I only notice this when pack pedaling while cleaning the chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    Another question. Sometimes when pack pedaling I notice the chain has a little hiccup on one of the cogs almost like it has a little bounce,lol. Would this indicate a stuck roller in one of the links?

If it does that every rotation in every gear then it's probably a stiff link. Note where on the chain this is happening as it goes around the cassette and try to move the links in that area by hand, if one isn't moving freely it's pretty apparent. You can fix it (if that's the problem) by bending that link side to side a few times (the way it's not supposed to bend)

mtbr member
    Thanks JB weld. I appreciate that.

mtbr member
    Just a upadte guys.

Still getting a little trouble of it "burping" a bit when back pedaling. But its smooth as butter when riding. If its just a bit noisy when back pedaling and good moving forward, maybe I should just ride and not worry about it thats the idea right

Being serious though. I guess it's not too much of a problem as things are working good. I used my chain checker to check for wear and its fine ( Should be as its lucky to have 150 miles on it )

Jeremy