1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Chain Cleaning

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Chain Cleaning

How often do you guys do it and how? Ive been riding my "new" bike for id say maybe a month and a half to two months now and I'm noticing lots of dirt/grim/dust gathering on my chain and surrounding parts. I figure I'll clean it out good tomorrow.

I cleaned my old bike chain a while back by taking it off completely and shaking it up in mineral spirits (As suggested by the MTB maint. guide) and then lubed it up. Worked great. Is that probably my best bet or would just cleaning it while its on the bike suffice? Whats the deal with using water on a bike? Is it cool to clean with water as long as you let it fully dry before storage?

So again, how do you guys clean your chains/how often? Thanks everyone.

the test dummy
    every ride
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

~Disc~Golf~
    OP, you've got the right idea on both counts.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    For normal maintenance you can keep it on the bike. If it gets really dirty or just as part of a one or twice a year tear down you can take it off and give it a really good cleaning. But if that is the way you want to do it, you can of course take it off every time as well. I generally clean my chain every few rides or as needed, which ever comes first.

Water is fine just watch using pressurized water around parts of the bike that have seals (bottom bracket, headset, hubs) so that you don't force water/dirt/grim into those areas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    alright awesome, thanks guys. I'll probably just end up scrubbing things down/cleaning it off with water/lubing it. thanks again

mtbr member
    i've been trying a wax lube that i use on my motorcycles for some time, seems to be working just as well. does a great job at keeping dust and grime off the drive system, and cuts down on maintenance quite a bit over traditional lube.