1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Causes of broken rear derailleur

My rear derailleur (X9) snapped in half today. I was in a middle ring heading downhill towards a small jump, as I landed the the cage part of the derailleur broke off. Did I do something to cause this?...like a lack of finesse in my riding or was it some sort of adjustment? Everything seemed to be good with the shifting. Bike is a 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp btw.

could have been lack of finesse. could have been trail debris. could have been poor adjustment. could have been more than one, all of them, or none of them.. broken derailleurs happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    could have been lack of finesse. could have been trail debris. could have been poor adjustment. could have been more than one, all of them, or none of them.. broken derailleurs happen.
    perfect response here.

Gumnut Peddler
    I have had a similar thing happen to me. A stick that I rode over flung up without me knowing, and wedged itself in my rear wheel and derailleur. End result was a rather abrupt stop, and my wallet becoming lighter after discovering the carnage caused.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    I have had a similar thing happen to me. A stick that I rode over flung up without me knowing, and wedged itself in my rear wheel and derailleur. End result was a rather abrupt stop, and my wallet becoming lighter after discovering the carnage caused.
    Yabbut you got to upgrade to a new better derailleur....

Gumnut Peddler
    Correct. Doesnt everyone always upgrade to something better?

mtbr member
    Correct. Doesnt everyone always upgrade to something better?
    If not it wouldnt be an upgrade

Ridin' Furry
    I had my rear derailleur get caught in spokes from going to fast over some ruts. The end result was a broken derailleur & lots of broken spokes. Cause was lack of finesse in my case. ~2012 Stumpjumper comp

mtbr member
    99% of the time, the RD takes a hit from the side, the hanger gets bent, and the pulley/cage gets knocked into the spokes when you shift into your largest cog. this can happen when your bike falls over, gets bumped while in storage, or you take a fall.

yours might be a different scenario, but that's what I see most of the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ^ I was haunted by bent derailleurs for a long time. Once they get slightly out of alignment all it takes is a good hard crank while shifting to pull the derailleur into the wheel. Every since I started carrying an extra I haven't had a problem (this after bending 3 in a year and destroying a derailleur in the process).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

... and if we just ...

Looks like you got attacked by an upgrade stick!!! My buddy carries a spare derailleur, on account of the upgrade sticks liking him... A lot! I avoid the issue entirely... Just read my sig! Awesome thread btw, OP!
    Gears give me headaches