1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Cassette/Deraileur Interference? And brake issues

When I ride it seems that the cassette and derailleur interfere, mostly when I'm in the lowest gear. When I pedal the ride isn't smooth and the derailleur seems to be shaking. Is there any way to fix this or it it normal?

Also, my disc brakes seem to be giving me issues. On the front the pad furthest from the wheel is at an angle relative to the rotor. How can this be fixed? The rear is also making an interesting noise when I stop. I can't really describe the sound but it isn't the typical screech you get with new brakes. They both seem to be working fine so I guess these issues aren't too big. I'll probably ask Santa for some BB7s this Christmas anyway.

These are the Promax Orange on a new Cannondale Trail SL4 29er. Probably should have gone with the SL2. Oh well. The green is awesome and the bike does everything I need it to do.

Huckin' trails
    The drivetrain problem might be a loose cassette body, as the cassette will not be stable and because you are in lower gear, less stress on the chain at the bottom and higher stress on the top may cause the cassette to start wobbling around... one way to check this is simply trying to move the cassette from side to side to see if there is any play in there...

For your brakes, I cannot see anything, since you did not post any picture ...

Tell me more and I might be able to get you back on track (or others might do too).

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

~Disc~Golf~
    for the derailleur, try screwing in the B-screw some.
    Honestly... ahh I give up