1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Casette wobble

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Casette wobble

Hi

I noticed that if I pick up my bike and spin the back wheel the casette wobbles slightly.

Is this normal?

mtbr member
    I would say no. Try tightening the lock ring with one of these.

locked - time out
    Slight wobble is normal for lower end components. Noticeable wobble is not normal.

Justa Dude
    +1 on the slight wobble with lower end components. I have aftermarket (lower end) hubs on one bike and it wobbles. (kinda tilts on an axis so to speak) where the bike with good shimano hubs is perfectly strait. You can test this theory as I have and go to your LBS and try it out. You'll probably see this happen with brand new bikes. They will probably look at you a little funny, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the strangest thing thy have winessed.

Picture Unrelated
    Cassette wobble is normal. Individual cog wobble is probably a sign of an issue.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If they are Mavic wheels, this is a normal problem as the bushing wears out behind the freehub. Take it to your LBS for replacing.

If not, slight wobble is normal on cheap 7-8 speed cassettes. If you can move/wiggle an individual cog with your fingers then something is wrong and it needs to be taken apart.