1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

carry spare tubes filled with tubeless brew or carry tubes + bottle of tubeless brew?

hey all,

great forum, going on my first real bikepack adventure next week and have a question about spare tubes + sealant. i did a search and didnt find anything, i assume this has been dealt with before??

background is i have a pugsley with homemade tubeless brew in the tubes and it has been great, no flats since i put sealant in. knowing me and how overly prepared i like to be, i wanna bring some spare tubes with me on my trip, but i dont trust just plain old tubes anymore, i want/need sealant.(or so i think)

so do i put sealant in them at home and carry the tubes, maybe not get a flat, and continue carrying them? will the sealant dry up and harden up eventually leaving me with bricklike wasted tubes/sealant in a couple months?

or do i carry 2 normal tubes and a bottle of sealant, hope it doesnt leak, and if i flat out there inject it on the road?

injecting it at home would be alot easier but not too bad out on the trail.(prestas)

thanks all

EDIT: i have tubeless brew in the tubes, not a tubeless setup.
    Last edited by zskolb; 01-06-2013 at 06:40 PM.

no trees are safe
    Many tubeless sealants don't work with tubes. I don't know why, but it happens. Perhaps the way that tubes stretch? Sealant for tubes has to have higher viscosity, or else it will just spray all of its surroundings with latex or whatever you use. If you want to be extra sure get some slume tubes and be sure you don't exceed the maximum tyre volume for the tube.
    Last edited by Millfox; 01-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.

T.W.O.
    It's best to carry the brew separately in the bottle. I carry a 2oz squeeze bottle and the syringe.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Picture Unrelated
    I have never found sealant to function in tubes. I too attribute it to the way that tubes stretch when they're punctured, but I can't be sure. So I would not put sealant in the tubes at all, home or not. It should be a rare day that you do enough damage to need to put a tube in but you can always take it out when you get back home or the car or wherever you are based out of.

I carry a tube or two (or more if I'm going to be out for a long ride with a lot of danger) plus a patch kit. That way I can patch tubes or tires if need be and always make it out of the trail.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I personally wouldnt want to deal with spares tubes filled with sealant. I think you'd be better off keeping 1 or 2 normal tubes in the pack. I've always had good luck with tires setup tubeless and have never had a flat. I've burped a little air here and there, but nothing a co2 cartridge or hand pump won't fix. I always carry one extra tube, 2 co2 cartridges, and a patch kit. No matter if it's a quick trip around town, or an all day epic. Knock on wood...been running tubeless for years with great luck and the only time I've pulled out the spare tube was to help another rider. Your worst enemy is a sidewall tear when running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    No need to put sealant in your tubes. If you puncture your tubeless you can repair it with a patch. If you put a tube in then it'll function just fine.
    Sealant typically doesn't work in inner tubes because of the chalk inside of the tubes that prevent the tube from sticking to itself when it's not inflated. The sealant won't stick to the butyl and repair the tube.
    You can buy inner tubes with sealant already installed and they work great which debunks the 'tube stretching' theories posted here.
    Hutchinson makes some great ones called Protect'Air.
    Although finding tubes with sealant in them in Pugsly size will be tough!
    I hope this helps.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotearoa706 View Post
    You can buy inner tubes with sealant already installed and they work great which debunks the 'tube stretching' theories posted here. .
    They absolutely do not work "great". Some work to a minor degree with small punctures, none will cope with a puncture as well as a tubeless system will.

It can also be very difficult to seat tires tubelessly on trail which is another reason most people recommend carrying tubes, sealant filled or not. CO2 is not recommended with most sealants I am aware of.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

no trees are safe
    You could try out Michelin Protek Max tubes. They have mixed reviews but most people say they work good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I wouldn't mess with carrying a tube of sealer. Instead, I would carry a Slim tube (tubes with sealant already installed) and a patch kit. Tubes with sealant already installed works better than installing sealant in a typical tube. It's not a cure-all solution though an really only works with small leaks. I would also install some Teflon tape or other puncher resistant barrier between the tire and tube. After that, make sure you have the tools and patches to fix flats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think you'll have better luck outside running the tubes+ sealant combo...

My order:

tubeless setup with spare tubes/ patch kits (you'll probably never need them, I haven't in 18 months)

tubed setup with a durable tire, heavy durable tube, and maybe the liner if you like that kind of thing, I've never had luck with them. Your local shop probably has some super HD tubes if you ask though, that will probably help!