1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Are Carbon seatpost bad choice?

I can get a really good deal on a Race FaceNext XC Carbon Seatpost for $35. But unsure of the carbon breaking. Any info would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisf695
    I can get a really good deal on a Race FaceNext XC Carbon Seatpost for $35. But unsure of the carbon breaking. Any info would be helpful.
    New or used?

I would trust a new carbon seatpost. A lot of people do.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here's a thread from bikeforums with lots of opinions.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=261368

No good in rock gardens..
    I've been running carbon for about four years now with no issues, I'm 80+kg and ride XC on a HT.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I got the RF next sl seatpost on a hardtail for 2 seasons now and love it... I'm 225lbs and there is no signs of wear or cracks on it... just make sure you round the edges of the seattube with some fine sandpaper

mtbr member
    Go Thomson, they are lighter, and stronger than most carbon posts. You will break your frame before you break a Thomson seat post.

Probably drunk right now

In my opinion, yes....

Personally, I stay away from CF seatposts. My problem with this isn't the durability of the carbon fiber but rather the durability of the epoxy that holds the mounting assembly on to the post. In my experience, the epoxy bond would fail and the seat would squeak and move side to side on me.

I'm a fan of carbon fiber. I run CF handlebars on both my mountain bikes. I just don't care for them on seatposts (or any component that requires bonding between metal and CF).

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I would not hesitate to run a cf post. Whether they are worth the extra $ is a whole-nuther debate, but for $35 I'd get it. CF is very strong.

billiebob
    For $35 you should get it. That's cheaper than many Al posts and if you break it, it's less lost than a set of tires.