1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Carbon handlebars and lock-on grips

Pardon my ignorance but...can you use lock-on grips on carbon handlebars? I would like to try a set of of ODI Rogue's on my Easton EC70 Monkey Lites. Anything I need to be aware of so I don't damage the bar? Any brands that won't work with carbon bars?

It's all about the FSR!
    I am using OURY lock ons on a Specialized S Works carbon bar. No issues. Just don't over tighten it.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Yep. It should be fine. The lock-on grips are generally held in place by a 3mm allen screw. With an allen wrench that small, you'd bend the wrench before you over tightened the bolt.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Trying not to kill myself
    I've always used lock-on grips with carbon bars and never had a problem. If you don't have a torque wrench, I'd recommend getting one so you can tighten to spec without going too far. Also helpful is some friction paste which will help keep things in place without the need to tighten the grips so much.

mtbr member
    Used lock on grips w carbon bars for ages. Only thing I am careful with is make sure there is no burr on the inside edge of the lock on collar - and I also only tighten them enough so the grip does not rotate.

Former Bike Wrench
    You clamp shifters and brake levers to them...no reason to think you can't clamp grips too (plus I've ran them on carbon bars as well with no issues).

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Yep. It should be fine. The lock-on grips are generally held in place by a 3mm allen screw. With an allen wrench that small, you'd bend the wrench before you over tightened the bolt.
    +1
    ODI uses 2.5mm, I've busted a few bolts myself. Now I just wiggle the grip as I tighten one lock ring(I usually start with the inside ring) until it stop moving then proceed to the next ring. There's no need to torque it any further.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Good deal, thanks for all the input. I kinda figured they were safe but didn't want to take a chance and ruin my first carbon bar. I'm going to pass on the friction paste unless someone has a compelling reason why it's a must (from what I've read most folks can get away without it).

Trying not to kill myself
    Quote Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
    Good deal, thanks for all the input. I kinda figured they were safe but didn't want to take a chance and ruin my first carbon bar. I'm going to pass on the friction paste unless someone has a compelling reason why it's a must (from what I've read most folks can get away without it).
    For ODI grips, the friction paste isn't necessary. Round grips aren't going anywhere, and even if they spin around a little, it's not a problem. Where I have been forced to use it is with Ergon grips. I have one FSA bar that even after roughing up the surface with sandpaper and tightening well past the recommended spec, the grips would still spin downward when I put too much weight on the 'wings'. And anyone who has spent a lot of time getting Ergons set at the perfect angle knows what a headache it is when they move during a ride.

But then again I also have a Niner carbon bar, and the same grips have been rock solid without the paste. So it's not a "must", but there are circumstances where it makes life a lot easier. You'll know it when you need it.

mtbr member
    Some carbon bars have little metal inserts, on the inside, on the ends of the bars. I've also seen them sold separately, or you could use any piece of pipe, cut to about 3/4", that fits snug in there. But like most say, it's probably not needed for grips on most carbon bars, more so for bar ends.
    A bit of grease on the bolts that tighten the clamps would be a good idea, so that you know your getting a true torque reading, but carbon paste on the bars/grips is not needed or a good idea. Maybe just a very light film on the clamp for where metal and carbon contact.
    My .02
    Last edited by theMeat; 12-09-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I put Marin lockons on a set of bontrager hi rise carbon bars a few years ago and they have been fine. I was worried too, but like mentioned above don't over tighten and crack anything. And I am a 220lb clyde as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This question sparked mine. How about carbon bar ends on carbon bars? Asking for trouble or ok if not overtightened? Thanks in advance for replies

T.W.O.
    See the meat post. I think it's the best answer for your question. Be aware some carbon bars won't allow barends.

mtbr member
    I use Ergon grips on my Easton EC90 bars. I use the Ritchey torque key to tighten them to 5N-m. Never an issue.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using TapaTalk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just in case anyone else is reading this aging thread, you can put Ergon bar-ends on carbon bars. They sell a reinforcement plug (LS-100) that fits inside most carbon bars. It keeps the end clamp on from crushing or cracking the tips of your bars.

I also suspect you can reinforce the interior with a very snug fitting piece of pipe (stainless or aluminum) but you better make sure it isn't going to slip. Maybe some glue to keep it in place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Paying for carbon bars, I wouldn't use lock ons because they add 75gr in weight. Too heavy. Your probably get less weight with aluminum bars /w regular grips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    True, but sometimes carbon is prefered for feel, not just weight.