1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Capslock Beginner Squee!!1!!

So, here in the Seattle area, there's this organization called the Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club that organizes "Mountain Bike Boot Camp" educational sessions, designed to help clueless no0bs like me ride a bike. I went to one this evening. I was the only student who signed up. There were three instructors. Bonus!

We went over bike maintenance, safety, trackstands, descents, ascents, turning, and jumping over obstacles. Graduation consisted of a short trip through some singletrack.

OMG OMG OMG IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!1!! IT WAS EXCITING AND SCARY AND EXCITING AND OMG! WE SAW AN OWL! TWO OWLS! UP CLOSE! I HAD NO IDEA HOW HARD I WAS WORKING BECAUSE IT WAS SO SO SO SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

And now...I ded. Can't move at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like OMG. thats like totally amazing and stuff.

lol. Welcome to the sport!
    Brian <---- that would be me.

SHIFT_life

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    that was quite a bit of enthusiasm.

if you thought the owl was exciting, just wait till you run over your first bald eagle! uhh, i mean welcome to mtb'ing.

don't thread on me
    OMG, GRATZ 2U and WTG. YTMND. WTTS!
    sign here ________________________

mtbr member
    OMGHI2U!!!!1!!!!

Congrats! Sounds like an awesome program for new riders. Especially the maintenance and skills training. Most of us just had to keep up with the faster riders to learn their tricks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome post!
    - Eric

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm supposed to go on a beginner bikey-poo ride with the club again tonight. I still can't move, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. My legs are okay, but my arms! Who knew you'd get an upper body workout on a bike?

Hope we see another OMG!OWL again tonight.