1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Can't remove thru axle on rear wheel

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am just getting back into biking. I got some flats this weekend and can't remove the rear wheel. It's a sunringle hub with a Maxle 12*142 thru axle. The quick release lever will fold out, but when I insert it into the groove to loosen the axle, it feels like it has been machined tightened, and it won't budge. It feels like feel like the lever it going to break if I put any more pressure on it. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I honestly can't figure it out. Thanks for any support.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    lots of lube, be careful not to damage the dropouts..take it to a shop see if they can cut it, better pay for a new axle than a new frame...

'Tis but a scratch
    Try a search on the forum or on google and you'll probably see your not the first to have this issue. Here is one result of a search:

Help - Seized Thru Axle

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I tried lubing it, and finally gave up and took it to my LBS. The mechanic said he'd never seen one so tight, but after several tries he was able to remove the axle. It broke in the process, so a new axle is on the way.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    dab a little anti seize on the threads for next time