1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Cant decide which bike (decided)

So I want to buy my first mountain bike. My background is all dirt bikes. I love trail riding and have been riding for 8 years now.

I went to my LBS today and looked at the Giant Revel 2 and Revel 1 both are very beautiful bikes with the Revel 1 being on the upper end of what I am willing to spend for my first bike.

I also responded to a caigslist add from a other bike shop that says he has a 2011 Scott Aspect 50 (black, yuck) for $399 or a Scott Aspect 40 for $450 (green).

So, what should I do? I am leaning toward the Aspect 40 because it seems like the highest quality bike and the price seems pretty good.

I guess i should add that i am not entirely sure what kind of riding i will do. But I imagine that the bike will be my limiting factor eventually because of my dirt bike background i know how to handle two wheels and love speed and jumping. But for now an entry level bike that i can ride on hiking trails will do till i decide that i need to be dumping $2K into this.

I am also looking into used bikes but there isnt anything on craigslist at the moment.
    Last edited by joman2055; 08-05-2011 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Go check out the Jamis Eureka. It's definitely got better components than the two Scott bikes. Heck, the fork alone, brand new runs almost $300, and he wants only $350? The perks of buying used...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is there anything I should look for that would make me walk away from it? I know how to buy a used motorcycle or car but is there anything specific should look for on a bike?
    Last edited by joman2055; 08-05-2011 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joman2055 View Post
    Is there anything I should look for that would make me walk away from it? I know how to buy a used motorcycle or car but is there anything specific should look for on a bike?
    - Large frame dents / scratches
    - Blown shock
    - Worn drivetrain, in particular make sure one part wasn't replaced while the others stayed the same. Ideally, the chain/ chainring / cassette / derailleur pulleys should wear equally and be replaced at the same time.
    - Bearing play (cranks and headset)
    - Worn hubs / brakes

Similar to a car/motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    sounds exactly like a motorcycle. thats pretty much what i thought.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i just found out the bike is a 2003. seems pretty old but it also seems much better than the Giant Revel 2 which would be brand new. i am checking it out at 4.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    well i got impatient and bought the Jamis today for $325. not a steal but i think a fair price and it is in pretty good condition. just some scratches on the frame from the guy's bike rack and a rub spot from the front brake line. i had the LBS put some air in the forks for me because there was none. i will eventually buy my own pump. I am going to take it out tomorrow to test it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Congrats on the purchase. Hope you can tear up some trails with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i am taking it out tomorrow.

i took it to the LBS today and had 45psi put in the forks. i bought some chain lube and a small pump. on the short list is patches and having my dad send me my fox hydration pack.

it came with a cateye computer which i thought was really cool. i reset it and made sure it was all working so i can keep track of the distance and time i spend on the bike.
    Amazon.com: Cateye CC-MC100W Micro Wireless 10-Function Bicycle Computer (Black): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    I do not know if it has a sealed headset but if it does not it would be a good idea to lube that. I would also order some brunox fork lube and lube up the fork real good and work it up and down after every post ride clean. I use brunox and it keeps the fork very plush. I would also say get a bottle of simple green and clean the bike real well and lube it up. Make sure when you are lubing not to get any oil on the brakes it will ruin the pads. Congrats on the new bike and enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    went out today and had sooo much fun. according to my cateye, i was riding for a little over an hour and covered 10 miles. not too shabby for my first ride and considering i havent seen the inside of a gym in 2 months. i rode up a decently large hill and met some guys at the top, i told them it was my first day riding and they said that i picked a pretty tough place to ride. but everything seemed easy, just gota get my cardio level back to where it was 2 months ago.

i almost ate it hard once. i was being stupid coming down a hill, and rode on the high side of an off camber right hand turn. i slid from the inside of the turn to the outside but luckily i was going fast enough to not fall

i now see why you would want clip in shoes, my feet kept coming off the pedals when i was going up hills and it was really annoying trying to get back on the correct side because one side was clip in the other was a platform.

i am hooked. its almost as fun as dirt bike riding but a lot more physically challenging which is what i am after.

P.S.

my brakes were squeaking pretty loud when i was bombing down a hill and grabbing the brakes. is that normal? they were quiet when i was just riding normally.