1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Cant decide between Forge Sawbacks

I just started mountain biking and already about to break my $125 walmart mongoose full sus bike.

i found the forge bikes and they seem to be pretty good for the money, however, i can't decide between the two they have.

http://www.forgebikes.com/saw5blu.asp

http://www.forgebikes.com/saw7.asp

I'm a noob when it comes to bike components so I really have no good judgment about which is better...

I plan on doing spirited rides on dirt and mountain trails with logs and obstacles and things of that sort.

and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't know anything about Forge bikes, but the "Dart 1" fork that comes on the 5xx is basically a pogo stick and should be avoided. On the other hand, you are better off buying a cheap hard-tail than a cheap full suspension.

I'd go to a real bike shop, look for a hard tail with a "Dart 2" or "Dart 3" fork from a better known manufacturer. (Trek, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, Giant, Specialized)

-james
    [SIZE="1"]2000 Trek 6500 HT
    2008 Ibex Asta Comp X7 FS[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I own two Forge bikes, great bikes! My Sawback 5xx has over 2k hard off road miles and still going strong. If you're not doing drops top tube clearance will not be as a big issue, so go with the larger frame, which I think is the blue. Checkout the Forge site for more details, or call them directly, they have excellent customer service.
    Welcome!!

PS: Search around for some deals, google target.com coupons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ok, I too have a cheap Goose at home. I did upgrade however. I got a Ironhorse Maverick 5.5 from Performance. I love the bike. I will say this, the hardtail that I ride is MUCH easier on you then the Gooses FS. I would say that for the money go with a hardtail unless your doing major drops. Considering your old bike I think your probably like me and doing a lot of trails, hills, etc. The Forge 5xx is a great bike with great parts, no doubt, very good for the money. I would say this, If you look at the price of the forge with tax and all without discounts its probably in the range of $375, I paid $400 for mine with tax and all using a 10% discount code. I LOVE the look and feel of the Iron horses myself but again the forge is a good bike, The one I have does also have the Dart 2 for also for what its worth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    how easy is it to upgrade the dart1 to a dart2 on the 5xx??? assuming its the same brand, it should be easily interchangeable right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shekshishekki
    how easy is it to upgrade the dart1 to a dart2 on the 5xx??? assuming its the same brand, it should be easily interchangeable right?
    You basically have to cut the steerer tube down on the new fork, transfer the bottom race of the headset to it, and re-assemble. I put a rigid fork on one of my bikes, first time I've done a fork change, and it took me about 3 hours. And I spent $30 on a pipe cutter.

-james
    [SIZE="1"]2000 Trek 6500 HT
    2008 Ibex Asta Comp X7 FS[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It should be pretty easy all around, but realize that the price is $100+ for the Dart 2. With the bike costing $320 its a little steep. Thats exactly why I got what I did, because it cost me $25 to get a better fork and brakes and such. I just say look at your options for the price remembering tax included. It was $359 for mine and it was put together for me, adjusted, etc. I can't complain. It all came down to shopping by price and quality.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    it was just a thought....most likely i wouldn't upgrade just cuz i haven't reached that point in MTNKin yet.

when i outride this bike i'd just get a new bike all together.