mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Cannot decide on a bike, 29er for ~$1200

Hey guys. I posted here because I have almost no idea about current bikes, specs, and the like. I rode a giant as a kid and loved it, used to ride everyday and take it off of jumps in the developing neighborhood. Now i'm getting back into riding and realized that I have many local trails, so I am hooked. The past few weeks I have been riding basically a craigslist bike which is total ****, and I need to pull the trigger on a bike. As far as experience level I definitely wouldn't consider myself a beginner, i'm very comfortable on a bike and fast around the trails already on a POS bike. Overall, moderately skilled

As of now I have looked at an Airborne Goblin, Specialized rockhopper expert, and the Giant Talon 1. I really need someone experienced to help me make a choice in the ~1200 range, and maybe introduce me to brands I haven't heard that are quality. Today I test rode the Specialized at a shop and it blew me away. Keep in mind the best thing I have had is an entry level Giant, but man this thing felt good! I am big into driving/cars, so it was comparable to getting into a well set up track car from like a rental car.

All input greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A little cheaper wouldn't hurt actually, maybe the ~1000 range. What do you guys think of the Trek Xcaliber 7?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Trek Superfly 2014 at a 35% discount can get you something good depending on your size needs and what is available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Where could I find this %35 discount? That thing looks amazing

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Test ride, test ride, test ride. Then buy the bike that gets you most fired up to ride. Overall performance level across brands isn't going to vary all that much among the range of bikes your looking at, so buy the one that feels best to you (while trying to keep in mind that things like grips, seat, pedals, even bar and stem, are easy and fairly cheap to swap out, so don't nitpick too much when it comes to 'fit' parts like that).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kriskobg View Post
    Where could I find this %35 discount? That thing looks amazing
    First test ride a few to get your size worked out. Then see who has 2014 stock in 6,7 or 8 models in that size. Have a shop check Trek's warehouse stock. Them do the math including tax at 35% off and know the final price out the door. Talk to a manager or owner only with cash and make that price on that specific bike what you need to get the deal done. You may have to check a number of dealers within a 50 mile radius. 2 out of 6 would work with me. So don't expect to get it given to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Consider Airborne's Seeker bike instead of the Goblin. Airborne has free shipping right now, so for $930 you get a bike that is worth hundreds more. Assembly itself is very easy, but bank on $50-60 (could be less, depending on locale) for a local bike shop to tune it up & adjust it after assembly.

That puts us at $990, with $210 being plenty leftover for pedals, multi-tool, grease, patch kit, and other tools/accessories. I think you lose a lot when you order factory direct instead of via LBS, but for me the trade-off has been worth itóat the end of the day, I now own a bike with better parts/specs than I otherwise could've afforded... and it's a great-looking bike, too.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Test ride all of them if you can and get the one that you felt better on.

Own a couple of Talon 1's, great beginner platform but to make it shine you'll need to swap the fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thank you for all the suggestions thus far guys! I will be hitting up all local shops this weekend and getting my butt on as many bikes as possible

mtbr member
    Thats the only issue with Airborne bikes. You can't get to test ride them, but they have the best value around. You're not going to find a $1200 bike with an RS Reba fork, SRAM X7 components and Avid Elixir 7 brakes. To compare, the Trek Superfly 6 has nearly the same components (Reba fork and X7 drivetrain) but retails for $1800. It does come with a maxle but it also comes with a S1010 crankset instead of the X7 and Shimano M445 brakes. The only thing you can lean on is the 30 day return policy from Airborne.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I appreciate all of the suggestions in this thread. After riding a handful of bikes, and then contemplating a lot of things, I ended up picking up an 09 Santa Cruz Blur 26er for what seems to be a good price. Couldn't be happier, really

Cannot decide on a bike, 29er for ~00-m8kc50ul.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Before you get too far down the "couldn't be happier, really" road hit the Santa Cruz section for some recommendations for maintenance procedures for the pivot points and shock/fork. The headset and bb bearings and hubs too. Make that bike as good as you can.