mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cannondale vs. Trek for Beginner

Hello,
    I am a road rider that has mainly pedaled in California on a Trek single and Cannondale tandem. Now living in North Carolina, I am looking into MB (and getting excited about it). I have zero experience in MB but it seems that there are some very nice trails to ride here. My experience in road biking shows that finding a good dealer is almost as important as the bike… especially for me the beginner. I have been to a LBS that I feel quite comfortable with and I (think) have my choice narrowed to three:
    1) Cannondale F4
    2) Cannondale F5
    3) Trek 6500 disc

A couple of questions if I may:
    1) From this forum, I have narrowed my choice down to hardtails… this from your advice for a beginner to hone my skills and technique on a HT. Plus I would like to keep it sub $1K… do you agree with this approach?

2) I have already test ridden the bikes for a short test ride… my LBS will allow me to demo the bikes for a fee that I can then apply to the purchase… I might do this for two of the bikes (Cannondale and Trek). What are your thoughts?

3) Is the component group and fork on the F4 $300 more superior then the F5?

4) How does the F4 compare to the Trek?

5) Is the extra gear on the F4 noticeable for a beginner?

I am leaning to the F4 and I am sure some of you will say then get it…. It would still be valuable to me to hear your thoughts for a beginner MB though.

Much Thanks,
    Regards,
    Joseph

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Also take a look at the Caffeine 3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i have the caffeine F3, and i absolutely love it, couldn't have made a better purchase.