1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

cannondale vs specialized

Hi

I'm new in the biking world, I did a lot of running and recently my friend made me crazy about adventure racing. I have some races behind me and I need a good bike for that purpose. I did some research , asked a few people and there are two bikes that I'm considering: cannondale rush 2(or 3 - don't know yet) or specialized stumpjumper FSR 29er. I need a reliable bike good both for riding on mountain trails and sometimes roads, lightweight because I'm sure I will have to carry it at some places and good for all weather conditions. Can You please help me decide? Or maybe there is another bike that I should consider? Thanks!

Probably drunk right now

Both

Quote Originally Posted by Tirit
    Hi

I'm new in the biking world, I did a lot of running and recently my friend made me crazy about adventure racing. I have some races behind me and I need a good bike for that purpose. I did some research , asked a few people and there are two bikes that I'm considering: cannondale rush 2(or 3 - don't know yet) or specialized stumpjumper FSR 29er. I need a reliable bike good both for riding on mountain trails and sometimes roads, lightweight because I'm sure I will have to carry it at some places and good for all weather conditions. Can You please help me decide? Or maybe there is another bike that I should consider? Thanks!
    Both are fine bikes. The best one for you is the one that fits you best or feels best while you're test riding.

mtbr member

Test ride

Both brands make a great bike. As far as I know, Cannondale still manufactures it's frames here in the US, whereas Specialized frames are made in Taiwan. I see no compromise in quality, however. On the other hand, I've also noticed that Cannondale skimps a little on some of it's components (shifters, derailleurs, bars, seatposts, wheels) and Specialized does a great job at specifying high-end parts throughout the entire bike and their house brand parts are top-notch stuff.

When it comes down to it, you really just need to go test ride each bike (see if you can get an extended test ride or borrow somebody's bike.) Make sure to get the one that fits you well and is comfortably maneuverable.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Langdog; 07-30-2008 at 06:09 AM.
    "What Would Doug Do?"

...idios...
    "Both are fine bikes. The best one for you is the one that fits you best or feels best while you're test riding."

+1

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You said you wanted something lightweight. The Specialized would be a few pounds heavier because it is a 29er, but if you like the way the bike rides, you shouldn't worry too much about the weight. You could also look at some of Specialized's 26" full suspension offerings.

The Rush is a very nice bike as well. It really all comes down to which bike rides better for YOU. Were you referring to the Rush Carbon 2 or 3, or the Feminie 2 or 3?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    of course I'm considering a full suspension 29er

I was referring to rush carbon 2 or 3
    Is there a significant difference between 26 and 29 wheels so it is better to have a heavier 29er than lighter 26?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have one more question: I visited a local specialized dealer today and he also told me that I should take epic marathon into consideration. What do You think about this bike?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It is a great bike, made for the same type of riding as the Rush. The Rush and Epic have very different suspension designs though, so make sure to do a test ride to see which type you like better. It is essential to test ride the bikes on your short list for this and other reasons, such as over all bike fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would compare the Specialized Epic to the Cannondale Scalpel since they are both XC race bikes. The Cannondale Rush is designed for long all day epic rides and thus is focused more on comfort than an xc race bike.