1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Cannondale Trial 7 for $399, is this site trustable?

I'm getting a bike for the first time ever, was thinking of getting a walmart bike but "bike snobs" told me not to. I found this cannodale trial 7 on this site for $399 which normally retails for $550.

Cannondale Trail 7 - Trek Bicycle Superstore

1) so is this site trustable?
    2) and also honestly is this bike even worth the retail price cause i know it's an "entry bike" but for $550, alot of the parts used on it are cheap and not that great. The disc brakes got horrible reviews. i feel like i can get a walmart bike with a reliable frame like the schwinn sidewinder and upgrade it with better parts than the default trial 7 parts and it'll still be cheaper than the cannondale trial 7.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    so is this site trustable?
    You can't buy Trek of Cannondale bikes on the internet, you have to go and buy them at the shop that sells them.
    This business seems to let you purchase online but you have to pick the bike up from the actual shop.
    You're better off going to a bike shop and getting fitted to make sure that you buy the right size frame.

If the bike manufacturers list these shops as dealers then they're legitimate.
    Cannondale Dealer Locator
    Trek Dealer Locator

Go and visit one of the shops that's nearest to you if you're interested in a bike they have for sale.

* The bike you linked has a large frame, is that the right size frame for you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    You can't buy Trek of Cannondale bikes on the internet, you have to go and buy them at the shop that sells them.

If the bike manufacturers list these shops as dealers then they're legitimate.
    Cannondale Dealer Locator
    Trek Dealer Locator

Go and visit one of the shops that's nearest to you if you're interested in a bike they have for sale.

* The bike you linked has a large frame, is that the right size frame for you?
    as for part 2 of my question? TRAIL 7 - 2013

the specs aren't that great for $550. And i highly doubt the frame is that much better than a schwinn sidewinder from walmart

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Here are shops in NYC that is selling a 2013 Cannondale Trail 7 for $445-500

Robert's Bicycles - MTN Bikes/Dual Suspension Bikes

Cannondale Trail 7 Bicycle - Mens

I'm sure that bike stores will be willing to deal on 2013 bikes as they are now old stock. Go and visit some LBS and work some deals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom123 View Post
    as for part 2 of my question? TRAIL 7 - 2013

the specs aren't that great for $550. And i highly doubt the frame is that much better than a schwinn sidewinder from walmart
    Except for the fact Cannondale actually designed their frames for offroad use (and unlike walmart bikes doesnt have a sticker indicating not to use it offroad) and Cannondale comes with a lifetime frame warranty for the original owner.

Reputable bike brands also use modern standards, so you can easily replace or upgrade parts. The Schwinn? using a quill stem that hasnt been seen on a mountain bike in decades..
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

Rogue Exterminator
    Like stated, I am pretty sure this time of year you can go in to your LBS and get the same bike for about the same price.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Except for the fact Cannondale actually designed their frames for offroad use (and unlike walmart bikes doesnt have a sticker indicating not to use it offroad) and Cannondale comes with a lifetime frame warranty for the original owner.

Reputable bike brands also use modern standards, so you can easily replace or upgrade parts. The Schwinn? using a quill stem that hasnt been seen on a mountain bike in decades..
    well except i'm only going to use it on pavement since i live in nyc and for commuting, no off road stuff so that don't matter for me. But lifetime warranty sounds good but i wonder what strings are attached to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    well except i'm only going to use it on pavement since i live in nyc and for commuting, no off road stuff so that don't matter for me. But lifetime warranty sounds good but i wonder what strings are attached to it.
    if you arent even going to be using it for offroad (which makes me wonder why youd even come onto a mountain biking forum), I wouldnt get either of those bikes, Id go for a road style bike.
    Last edited by SandSpur; 09-15-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

Rogue Exterminator
    Do you pound screws in with a hammer too?
    Sure, it may get the job done but there is a better tool for the job.

Mountain bikes are generally heavier than road bikes, and knobby tires are not as good for road use. I would rethink your choices for bike purchase. If you pick a bike more suited for the job, chances are you will like the ride better and ride the bike more.

mtbr member
    You should check out a Cannondale Bad Boy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    if you arent even going to be using it for offroad (which makes me wonder why youd even come onto a mountain biking forum), I wouldn'te get either of those bikes, Id go for a road style bike.
    Because it's more comfortable and i enjoy the ride better. I've tried several types of bikes and i like MTB the best. It's my preference. I'm only going to ride 2-3 miles day and sometimes on weekend so i want something casual but comfortable and that i'll enjoy riding. I tried the trek 820 and some cannondale road bikes and didn't like them.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    If your intentions are to never ride on a trail, and maybe the once in a while ride it on dirt in a park... Then you may want to look into the Cannondale Quick models. They are more suited as a hybrid bike and would be better for streets with the occasional cross country riding.

Rogue Exterminator
    Because it's more comfortable and i enjoy the ride better. I've tried several types of bikes and i like MTB the best. It's my preference. I'm only going to ride 2-3 miles day and sometimes on weekend so i want something casual but comfortable and that i'll enjoy riding. I tried the trek 820 and some cannondale road bikes and didn't like them.
    I think you are still approaching this all wrong.
    You need to talk to a bike shop, pick the right tool for the job and then let them know what you don't like about the bike. It could be something as simple as changing out a stem or even just a minor adjustment.

Commuter bikes or even hybrids would be where I would start if I were you.