1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 (2012) < $700

I'm a beginner looking for my first MTB. Found a deal at LBS for less than $700. Read a lot about this bike. There's always pros and cons review. Just want to get more info to confuse my decision

http://www.cannondale.com/2012-trail-sl-29er-4-20758

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Pretty good bike for the money. My buddy has the SL4 29er, I think 2012.

Here are the issues I had with it.

1.5" headtube(not necessarily a bad thing), can make finding a replacement/upgrade fork difficult. You can buy a headset adapter for a 1 1/8" or tapered fork, but that is added cost.

The brakes. They never felt right. The modulation is terrible, he has had constant issues with them sticking, and losing alignment. They do have plenty of power though.

Cannondale isn't what they used to be. They are not all american made frames like the good ol days. Since purchased by Doral, they are just a name attached to a frame to sell bikes. Though, you can say that about many companies these days.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's an unhappy medium pricepoint. It was when it was new and it still is. Or, it would be at $700. Does "less than" mean $699 or does it mean $400?

$700 can get a race-ready bike used.

How'd you feel about it when you rode?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 (2012) &lt; $700

It's around $650. I rode it in the parking lot but to be honest I don't know what to look for. My goal to get it and ride it for couple years to learn MB then decide what to ride next. Don't really want to spend too much because I envision it will get scratches and dents as I'm a beginner.

I'm looking around for used one in Craigslist for a while but no success yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fat-tired Roadie
    First bikes can be tough that way. Try a couple other bikes and sizes at your shop. Also, phone around - bigger cities usually support some shops specializing in used. If it's just not happening, pull the trigger. This is a beautiful part of the year in my region, though I guess I don't know about yours; each day you can ride has some value too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    The bike is 2 years old... Even if it is new they should be wanting to just sell it off and cut a loss... see if you can negotiate a better deal than $650.