1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cannondale Trail 6 vs GT Avalanche 1.0 disc

Hi guys,

I'm stumped between these 2 choices which are being sold for second hand.
    The cannondale comes with the following upgraded parts below while the Ava 1.0 disc is stock:

Pro Grips
    Kore Stem
    Selcof handelbar
    Wellgo paddle
    Taurus wheelset
    Intense system tire(2.35)

Which would make a better choice in your opinion? thank in advance

mtbr member
    I'm new to riding but love my Cannondale and the quality compared to other bikes I've seen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Going by the specs, the Avalanche has a far better quality fork and drivetrain over the Cannondale 6.0 however that is based upon the 2012 stats for both bikes.

Since these bikes are used, knowing which year each model is from would help determine their overall values.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for everyone's input so far. I've just gotten word from the owner that the Ava 1.0 disc is a 2004 model.

In this instance, would a Ava 1.0 disc model still fare better against Cannondale Trail 6 (probably 2011/2012) in terms of spec & value for money?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    With the Avalanche you have Deore/LX level components vs. the Acera stuff on the Cannondale, so the Avalanche would still have the better components however the question of age/condition becomes more significant when you are considering an 8 year old bike vs. something much newer.

Ultimately it boils down to the condition of both but if you don't know much about bike repair/maintenance and don't know how to check for problems then I would be wary of any used bike much less one that is eight years old.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert