1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cannondale Trail 5 vs. Specialized Rockhopper vs. better ~$800 29er?

I've been researching for weeks. I have about $800 more or less I'm working with and I am, to an extent, getting tired of comparing 29ers in this price range. I just wanna make up my mind! I know this price range is not enough to get Rockshox forks or better components, but for my riding it'll do for the time being. Plus I can always upgrade parts as they wear and tear in the future to better parts.

I'm looking at the Cannondale Trail 5 & 6, Rockhopper, Scott Aspect 940, but is there any other bike I should be giving thought to? The GT Korakoram 3.0 is also in the running, it's red and white frame is sweeet!

Please, anyone, any advice would be appreciated! I hate to be the typical new forum poster and start one of these "this vs. that" threads, but I would like to know what the more experienced riders feel about this price range and the best bang for the buck I could get. Most of these bikes have Suntour up front with either low-mid level Avid/Shimano components, but being a rider that is getting back into mtn biking now (the last time I rode trails was 10years ago..when disc brakes were unheard of!), I'm a bit out of it and want to make sure to get some good advice from people on here rather than regret spending 800 bucks on a bike I'm not that happy with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Welcome to the forum.

Looking for my second bike, I had all those bikes in mind, researching and all.. Headed to the bike shop, rode a few, and now my eyes are set on a Raleigh Talus Sport 29r, a bike I hadn't even looked at online. No amount of internet research beats a 5 minute test ride on a bike that catches your eye even in the slightest bit. Head to the bike shops and try to annoy some employees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm very happy with my Trail 5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Cannondale Trail 5 vs. Specialized Rockhopper vs. better ~$800 29er?

I love my rockhopper comp 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This BikeDirect Gravity Point 1 has geo matching the Scott Aspect for 450. Add this Recon Gold fork and you're at 690 with a decent fork.
    ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR 29er Mtb Suspension Fork 100mm White Shocks NEW: 350166 Random Bike Parts

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Natty, I think you hit the nail on the head - similar price point = similar parts. Test ride and pick the one you like best. I suspect you already know which one that is.