1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Cannondale Rize 4 2009 for $1995

Never bought a bike before, been using a hand-me-down from father in law, which is an old Cannondale. Anyway, always wanted to own a new Cannondale so visited my lbs and they showed me a full suspension bike from 2009, the Rize 4, in white. They are asking for $1995, reduced from $2400; do you think that is a good deal?

I ask because I saw online the University Bike Centre they have the Rize 3, the version up from the 4, sporting lefty front suspension. They were also asking for $1995. Has anyone bought from UBC before, is buying a MTB online a bad idea?

Fat-tired Roadie
    The 3 certainly has a better spec. Whether online makes sense for you depends on a couple of things.

Can you build the bike yourself? Do you know your way around bikes well enough to maintain it?

How good is the web store's warranty service?

Do you know what size you ride?

Will your LBS come down any more on the price?

The deals online certainly look better. The places where people end up screwing themselves are in getting the wrong size, or damaging something when they build the bike. Lately, people have been talking about ordering online with the help of an LBS - for example, going to the shop to get some help with sizing and figuring out their "magic number" and then having the LBS do the assembly. While you have to pay for assembly and all future tuneups, often the deals available online are still better even after that.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Picture Unrelated
    As andrw said, the 3 is far better, make sure it's your size and not just the size they want to sell you, and see the other shop will come down on the 4, that seems a lot expensive for a bike that is about to become 2 years old this month.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=AndrwSwitch]The 3 certainly has a better spec. Whether online makes sense for you depends on a couple of things.

Can you build the bike yourself? Do you know your way around bikes well enough to maintain it?

How good is the web store's warranty service?

Do you know what size you ride?

Will your LBS come down any more on the price?

QUOTE]

I'm 6'2", about 180lbs, so I'm guessing a large would be right? I couldnt find details on their warranty i'm afraid. I'm doubtful they will come down, the guy was raving about how good a deal it was :-|

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd guess an XL for you, and there's a couple of threads going with guys your height saying they ride mediums. So try to ride some bikes - find out what too small feels like, and how long the top tube is, and what too big feels like and how long that top tube is. The size names and numbers aren't very meaningful, unfortunately.

What are you riding now? (Name, year and size. Or the effective top tube length if you can figure it out.) Is it comfortable? How big is the stem?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Picture Unrelated
    At 6'2", you could easily be a L or an XL depending on your body's build. There is no substitution for sitting on a bike and getting fit properly. What size were they trying to put you on with the Rize 4?

I always recommend buying from a good shop over online because you get the support and service to back up your bike. If you have experience with bikes in the past, then it may not be such a big deal, but if you don't know or don't care how to keep your new bike working then I would go with buying from a shop. Certainly, the 3 is the better deal, but make sure you know enough about it before you go jumping in and picking that one.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

My spelling is atroshus
    I have an 09' Rize and love it. They recently renamed to the RZ. Perhaps because they had been sued by the male enhancement drug company?

mtbr member
    Silverlink,

Are you located in the Bay Area CA? THere is a LBS here selling 2009 Rize 3 for $1,699. Yup, you read that right....Rize 3.

I dont know if they ship but you can call and ask them.

You can copy&paste the link below.
    http://www.goridebicycles.com/Site/Closeoutlist.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    Silverlink,

Are you located in the Bay Area CA? THere is a LBS here selling 2009 Rize 3 for $1,699. Yup, you read that right....Rize 3.

I dont know if they ship but you can call and ask them.

You can copy&paste the link below.
    http://www.goridebicycles.com/Site/Closeoutlist.htm
    My friend paid that for one at Mike's Bikes in Sacramento too. When I saw it I just said "That's your bike, buy it."
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I bought my rize 3 a couple of months ago at Mike's. They price matched goride. I can't compare it with the 4 but I can say 1699 is the price to beat.

djz
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    My friend paid that for one at Mike's Bikes in Sacramento too. When I saw it I just said "That's your bike, buy it."
    And less than 30 days later when they had their super sale, they knocked another $100 off of that...