1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Cannondale fork Help!?

Hello,

I am fairly new to mountain biking and know little about after market parts and upgrades. I am currently riding an ancient Cannondale super V 700 sl. It may be outdated, but I think it is a seriously cool bike. I have headshok issues. From my research, it seems like the headshoks do not last very long and are expensive to repair. I'm considering putting a rockshox or fox on the dinosaur. Any suggestions....other than buying a 3,000$ bike. Im in college and have little money to spare.

thanks

mtbr member
    I just watched some brand new takeoffs of rock shox recon solo air forks with a remote lockout lever go on ebay for about 180$ shipped. That would make a nice replacement without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks. Do you have any info on converting? Like where to find a reducer kit...is the rock shox recon a reliable setup?

mtbr member
    I am guessing that your frame has a 1.5" headtube. You will either need a 1.5" steertube fork, or buy a reducer for a 1.125" steertube.

Definitive guide: Cannondale frame headset fork compatibility for mountain bikes | Cannondale Answers

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ok. I picked up a Fox f series 32 FiT RLC with a 1.5 in steer tube, so I won't need to convert to the 1 1/8 inch. This shock uses a 15mm thru axle, and my old rim is a 9mm qr. I have seen a few conversion kits, but not sure which one to trust. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Never mind. I see that they don't make conversion kits for 9mm qr to 15mm thru axle. Looks like a used wheel will be my next pur chase...