1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cannondale Flash 3 for my first bike?

Hey everyone,
    After many years of road riding, I want to get off the blacktop and give mountain biking a try.
    Mostly, I will be riding single-track trails in Wisconsin.
    For now, anyway, I am not planning on big drops or trails that are too extreme. But I also want to get a bike that would allow me to do some advanced riding when I am ready for it.
    Through my local bike shop, I am pretty much committed to Cannondale.
    Would the Cannondale Flash 3 be a good choice, or should I save up some more money and go for the Flash 2 or the Flash 1?
    I don't anticipate racing, but I also don't want to get a bike that will be disappointing in a couple of years when I have better riding skills, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on upgrades.
    It looks like the Flash 3 is an excellent bike. What are your thoughts on it, please?
    Many thanks for your insights, which are sincerely appreciated.
    Ride safe,
    Redline09

mtbr member
    A Flash 3 is a pretty good first mountain bike if you are me or really anyone for that matter. But personally i really dont like mono-shocks, but thats just my design preference.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Like your shop only carries Cannondale?

Honestly, the differences between XC hardtails are not that big. But if there are some other shops within easy driving distances, hop on a few others bikes at your pricepoint and see what you think.

Whether a XC hardtail is right for where you want to go with your riding depends on how you see advanced riding - for a XC rider, it would be navigating more and more difficult trails with speed and efficiency, but not necessarily catching a lot of air, riding skinnies, etc. (My opinion, of course.)

Anyway, the best deal you'll get on components is when they're part of a complete bike. So get as much bike as you can afford. At the same time, every day of riding is valuable. I'm not sure that I really see saving up for more bike, if it means losing a chunk of the season.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    My my friend has a flash and he loves it. He has been working at a local shop for 20 years now and riding for 20 years and he said the carbon frame was the best he had and that the fork was also the best. My friend Frank is the type of guy who has owned two new bikes every year one free ride and one xc. He said that he was going to purchase another flash next year. I tried it and the frame and fork feel great what I really liked about the frame is it was stiff yet it soaked up the bumps.