1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

cannondale f7 vs. trek 4300 disc

My lbs is ordering a cannondale f7 xl for me. It is one of the few left and I wanted to know what you guys thought about this bike compared to the trek 4300 disc. Its about 100 dollars cheaper and price is really the only thing I care about. Both of them have disc brakes and the shop has both of them.

MTBR Member
    Out of those two or any more you are looking at in that price range I would get the one that fits the best. I looked at the components on both of them and they are pretty similar...main difference being the sram rear derailleur and shifters on the Cdale vs shimano rear derailleur and shifters on the trek. What prices did you get on both of those? I'm not sure how much the cdale is but the msrp on that 4300 disc is $599. I don't know if you have tried out the gary fisher's but they have a bike in that range msrp $559, the Wahoo, that comes with a little better components on it...fork- rock shox dart 1, RD- shimano deore, and FD-shimano acera to name a few. I think if you look around a little more you could find something with better components at that price. But the thing that matters the most is the fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the cannondale f7 disc is 479 and the trek 4300 disc is 599

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Both of them are spec'd about the same. For $100 cheaper I'd go with the Cannondale without a doubt. I might be biased, though, since I have an F7 and love it.

MTBR Member
    From posts i have read on those bikes under the review section here on the site you could probably get both of them a little cheaper...shops are pretty competitive. Maybe around 500 for the trek and 400 or so for the cdale. If it is between those two just get the one that feels better b/c they have very similar setups as far as component level goes, about on par with each other. What other bikes have you looked at or taken for a test ride? Like I said earlier I would definitely check to see if the Gary Fisher genesis geometry fits well...they generally put a little better components on the same price level bike as trek and some others. A GF Wahoo would be about the same price as the trek but better setup. There are also a few other brands out there that would give you more bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ive tried the 4300 disc but i didnt have the chance to try the cannondale because the shop didnt have my size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I chose the F7 over the Trek. Got my first ride in a couple days ago and will be going in the morning. Love it. Got mine for $379 after I talked my lbs down from $409. I did not get the disk set up though. I don't think the quality is there to justify the price at this level.

I will tell you that I rode the F7 hard! Mud, rock, jumps, down hill, up. It took it all without a problem. I also decided to ride the 10 miles to the mountain so I put it through some road tests too. I'm very pleased with my choice. I got alot of bang for my buck. I'll keep it for a year or two and move on as my skills progress.

Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks mate.